1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help please

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by biggles_girl, Nov 10, 2017.

1. biggles_girl

biggles_girl New commenter

I have a teacher training interview on the 24th and as part of the the interview i have to read for ten minutes and then carry out an activity for twenty minutes based on the book with a whole class of year fours. I dont have very much experience with key stage two but i was thinking of reading the first chapter of the Iron Man by Ted Hughes and then asking them to right a chapter to come before that, so where did the iron man come from, who made him, why did they make him? Does this sound do able. i was going to get them to discuss ideas with partner before they begin. Do I need to differentiate, how would i do this not knowing the children?

2. sciencepanda

sciencepanda New commenter

‘Write’, not ‘right’!

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Think carefully about what the interviewers will want to see - you building a rapport with the kids, engaging them with the text, supporting those who need support, challenging those who are higher level...

pepper5 likes this.
  4. MissCleo

MissCleo New commenter

Year 4 may be younger than you think (this was my main issue going from KS1 into KS2), so don't expect too much of them. Writing a whole chapter will be a very daunting task for most Year 4 children and 20 minutes is not long to do it.

Perhaps see if you can find a more creative task, like creating a story trial to summarise what they have read or write a news report based on a key event. Then when discussing the lesson after, you could bring up how, if you had a chance to teach a whole unit, you would want the end outcome to be writing a chapter.

pepper5 likes this.