1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JLH92, Oct 1, 2017.

1. JLH92

JLH92 New commenter

I’m just out of my NQT year and was asked to attend training for a Shakespeare course - the outcome to put on a performance of a play in our local theatre - I made it clear I was not confident with Shakespeare and was promised support so I said I’d go for it. However, since starting this year and trying to get stuck into the play it’s proving extremely difficult. The children are unable to access the text as they are a very low ability cohort, there are only 35 children allowed to take part (which only leaves 7 behind, which me and my colleagues believe is unfair) and there is a workshop in a week where we are expected to have done a scene which we haven’t done yet as we’ve had to complete writing before starting the play so there is writing that can be assessed. Me and my year partners have asked for support multiple times now and are receiving none. The school have paid to take part in this performance and it’s taking place on 13th November. It’s incredibly stressful and although I have the support of my year partners, the bulk of the responsibility is on me as I am the leader of the project. Do I have the right to refuse to complete the performance? I was promised support from the beginning from management and so far have received minimal help even after multiple attempts of asking for it.

2. Bajan-night

Bajan-night Occasional commenter

Which year group are you working with? Why are only 35 children allowed to attend? It hardly seems fair to leave 7 out.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. JLH92

JLH92 New commenter

Year 5. It’s the companies rules, because of the amount of space available backstage at the theatre they only allow 35 children and they’re being really strict on it. The idea is that the 7 that can’t take part advertise the play but it’s hardly fair when all 42 children want to take part.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Make sure you choose the seven in a way the children see as fair, then give them the very best of everything. They will be fine.

School have paid, so no you can't really pull out.

Be more specific about the support you need. Is it time? Manpower? What?
    You still have about 6 weeks, so plenty of time...it's always stressful to put on a play, but it will come together in the end.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. JLH92

JLH92 New commenter

There isn’t a fair way, they’re all working hard and are equally deserving of parts. The biggest worry we have with casting is the parents responses!
    We’ve clearly set out expectations of the support we need. We are all lacking in experience compared to the teacher who did the performance last year. We’re all stressed out massively - especially myself. I’m not sleeping, I dread going into work everyday and it’s a shame because I love my job and I’ve always loved going in but at the moment I feel sick with worry everyday about this performance. I’ve made it clear how I feel about it and have still received no support. We’re expected to be learning and picking the play apart aswell as acting it out and covering everything else. There isn’t enough time in the day to cover everything we’re expected to be covering let alone with a performance to prepare.

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

It's hard to offer any strong advice with out knowing all the details. Which play is it, and how much leeway do you have with your performance (do you have to do it as it's written or can you adapt parts)?
    For support, have you talked to your Y6 teachers for advice? They will probably have a lot of experience on doing school plays. You're probably going to have to give up a lot of afternoons to get ready for it but you still have plenty of time. As @caterpillartobutterfly says, it will come together in the end.
    Regarding the 7, can they at least come to the play even if they are not backstage?