1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help....please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kh133, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Hi

I am starting a new job soon in a mixed year 3/4 class. If anybody could offer any advice or your pearls of wisdom they would be greatly appreciated!!
    I have only taught years 3 and 4 (not mixed) whilst on supply so feel a bit lost with planning ideas etc, as I have only taught a few days in these years.

Thank you

2. Hi,
    Congratualtions on the new job. I am an NQT, teacing in a Year 3 class. My advice so far would be to do as much prep as possible before starting. Over the summer, prior to starting in September I spent a lot of time just printing and laminating HFW cards, and words related to Big Write for example: connectives, openers, punctuation etc. These can all be found on ********** which is fantastic. Doing all that prep defnitely gave me a heads up so I could just focus on routines and teaching, and all the other bitty jobs that come with teaching young children.
    I also had seating plans and the ability groups for reading, maths and Literacy sorted and displayed before I started - so at least the children knew where they had to sit.
    As for planning, I would advise that you get your medium term plans in place, but don't over plan a topic especially in Maths and Literacy as the childrens' understanding and progress direct a lot of what I teach. By all means have a rough idea and outline.
    Sorry I haven't got any experience teaching mixed year groups.
    All the best.

3. I would ask for the school's rolling programme. I would imagine that if it usually has mixed-age classes, you will teach a two-year rolling programme and that all your long term planning will be in place for foundation subjects.
    I'm in a mixed Y3/4/5/6 class. For numeracy, I teach towards the middle of my ability range, so top of Year 4, bottom of Year 5, and then go up and down according to the needs of the children. I differentiate by ability not year group. For literacy, I make sure I cover a range of genres, mixing and matching from the different year group units (we have to use the units in my school: I'd much rather not if left to my own devices!) There are several LEAs who produce planning help for mixed age classes - cumbria and lancs are very good, especially for numeracy.
    I also would specifically advise that you NOT use the ********** website for resources: check out the many previous threads on here about it.
    I used to love Y3/4 - it's a great mixed-age range to teach!

4. Thank you for the replies :)
    I am going into the school this week to find our levels and look at previous planning etc. I think I am just nervous and want to be as prepared as possible!
    Thank you again x

5. DFC

DFC New commenter

Check your school / LA allows you to use ********** before you spend a lot of time and effort making resources you may not be allowed to have in school.

6. Definitely...I learnt that the hard way once!