1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please! ;'(

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by munchkinamy, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have an interview tomorrow and I'm struggling to write a learning objective for my lesson.
    We
    are going to be measuring the giants footprint (jack and the beanstalk)
    and then measuring our own. We will be doing this using cubes.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Come on this is just panic setting in. Look on the criteria under measurement and you'll find one which fits and then 'tweak' it to exactly what you're doing. e. g. We're learning to use a standard unit of measurement (cubes) to measure footprints.

3. PSRN SSM 6/7 - using language to describe size and quantity
    8 - using developing ideas and methods to solve practical problems
    NLC 6 - Count reliably up to 10 (and beyond if it's a giant footprint!)
    8 - using developing ideas and methods to solve practical problems

4. Learning objectives are the bane of my life... thing I'm struggling with is each school I've worked in
    (or placement asn I'm training right now) want something different.

Some schools take it straight from the 6 areas where others write a LO and have points from the 6 areas as the success criteria.

5. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

<font size="2" face="Avenir-Roman">SD 4 Works as part of a group or class, taking turns and sharing fairly
    </font>

6. Also, we will naturally be covering more than one element as we will be doing language, counting etc...can I have more than one LO or just have a broad one and then narrow it down into the success criteria.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It has always struck me how limiting it is to have one learning objective for a whole activity. This is a sad attempt to break learning into tiny gobbets so that a box can be ticked and accountabilty achieved. It's a teacher's job to encourage any learning possible from anything the children are doing. I had a student once whose supervisor wanted her to cook with the children; the learning objective was to be 'to understand that flour comes from wheat'. Now when children are cooking there are umpteen learning opportunities. As a teacher you will be talking about them all and asking questions to draw attention to them all. Some children will learn some things, some will learn others. Knowledge is a seamless robe. The overall 'learning objective' should be ' to make connections'.
    Our job is to open children's minds not to confine them. Sorry for this rant, OP. Sometimes I get so cross.
    My advice would be for you to think of as many possible opportunities for learning that could come out of the activity you are planning. Good luck.

8. You have just described what I say.
    Whilst we simplify the lesson for the children by describing one main learning objective (which should be in 'child-speak' as appropriate), infant and primary teachers have masses of underlying objectives - sometimes for the whole class, and for groups and for individuals - it's a 'constant'.
    I think this is why it is also logistically crazy to try to formalise targets for children and to spend untold hours writing them down.
    Teaching is a complex tapestry which we need to make relatively simple upfront - but which is decidedly multi-faceted and not simple in reality.

9. Thats what I struggle with I think, I know that there is a lot of different things that could come out of this activity and it will also totally depend on the children and how they influence the lesson. However when being observed by tutors etc they expect it to be boxed and have that learning objective.
    I've gone with a general learning objective and then as the 'things I will look out for' listed a range of different possible outcomes ie, use of vocab or counting...all sorts.

Just hope it goes down ok at the school!

Thanks for all your help.