1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by dav1970, Jan 8, 2012.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi all
    I'm in my second year of teaching and have been assigned subject leader for D&T.
    Looking at the D&T file, it looks rather out of date and it's going to be a murky path trying to figure out what resource we have/have not got in the school.
    I was wondering if anybody could please let me know how they go about auditing their D&T equipment as well as checking that skills are being attained from the curriculum? Do you have a grid/checklist? Or is it easier than I think it's going to be?
    Many thanks in advance
    David

2. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi all
    I'm in my second year of teaching and have been assigned subject leader for D&T.
    Looking at the D&T file, it looks rather out of date and it's going to be a murky path trying to figure out what resource we have/have not got in the school.
    I was wondering if anybody could please let me know how they go about auditing their D&T equipment as well as checking that skills are being attained from the curriculum? Do you have a grid/checklist? Or is it easier than I think it's going to be?
    Many thanks in advance
    David

3. finamar

finamar New commenter

Are you primary or secondary? Your resources suggest that you are primary. I have lots for secondary but unfortuneately not for primary.

4. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Apologies - primary!

5. Depending on the cooperation of your colleagues, could you use a training day to do this. Ask them or their TA's to bring all resources for DT to your room so that you can put together an inventory of equipment. If possible, could it then be stored centrally so everyone has access to it?
    You could also ask them to provide Schemes of Work and if possible, photos of outcomes from the previous year to analyse skills taught / learnt. As this will form part of your performance review you could also ask for cover for an hour or so each time so that you can go in and observe DT being taught around the school.
    Sorry - I don't have any resources as I am secondary

6. Is there anyway that you could please share these with me as I am currently acting head of dept and the dept is a nightmare and i could use a hand sorting it .. if that would be ok ?!

Many thanks in advance