1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help...Please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JCA_1989, Dec 12, 2011.

1. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

I am coming towards the end of my first term as an NQT in Year 3 and have had very positive feedback, both in general day to day stuff and in my formal observations. The behaviour of the class in general is fine, however there are a couple of dominant boys who spoil this.

One of them is slowly improving and it is now just low level disruption which I can cope with. Yet this other boy is slowly getting worse. He CONSTANTLY shouts out, usually in an aggressive manner to both staff and other children, he questions everything I do (such as why I have seated people in the places I have etc...), he simply cannot work in a group/pair without shouting at them or insulting them (resulting in arguments, sometimes across the classroom)! Also if somebody gets something wrong, he will make a quick comment which is far from appropriate. He is a boy who is way above his age and acts more mature than others in some ways, which can cause problems socially.

I have tried many strategies to deal with this, I have tried being firm and correcting the mistakes he makes, whilst also really praising any little thing he does correct. I have tried the arm round the shoulder approach which seemed to work initially, yet 5 seconds later he would be back to his old tricks. I have tried ignoring him, however as it is disrupting others, I do have to intervene generally in order for other children to remain on task.

He is an extremely smart boy and does have a few issues at home which are clearly affecting him, which does makes his behaviour understandable, yet not acceptable. I am starting to get some complaints (on behalf of other children) from parents about this boy's behaviour which is making me concerned. I do not want other people thinking that he is a 'naughty child', as he isn't. He does struggle with controlling his anger which usually vents itself in the middle of my lessons.

Having lots of 'confident and competitive' boys in such a small classroom obviously presents some problems, but this one in particular is slowly grinding me down. I just want to do the best by him and for the good of the class.

If anybody could suggest anything I would be extremely grateful!

JCA:)

2. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs -stupid Google Chrome!!!

3. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

anybody?

4. Sounds like he needs a bit of tough love, 3 strikes and he's outside the Head's office at break time - no messing just a clear warning when he behaves inappropriately and follow it through. I would also continue with the arm around the shoulder approach, little words in the ear before the day starts, little chats at the end of the day, praising and boosting. Do you have a supportive Head? Maybe he needs a good 'telling off' then you can build him up again.
    'I hate to see you in trouble, you work so hard in class!'
    'Your work is brilliant, I'm so impressed with you, don't let yourself down'
    'At the end of the day I'm going to ask you how you did today, I'll be really proud of you if it goes well'
    Sounds cheesy, but I just find some boys need 'man-managing' and if they see you care/like them they usually start trying harder

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Don't expect him to work in group or partner situations, he cannot do it. Then do some social skills work with him. Get him some counselling from your outreach team. Make him his own manners/remember the rules that he has to read over at the start of each session. Tell him what actions you are going to take when he breaks the rules. Two warnings and then time out? Three warnings and miss playtime?

I also make children apologize to the class for interrupting our learning.

6. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

thanks or the replies, will try these!!

7. Have you had a chat with parents/carers and got them on board with behaviour strategies - sanctions/rewards? eg good day a school equals a home reward, or a communication log with stickers, smiley faces etc for appropriate behaviour. I know it's not always easy with parents if there are issues at home but if you can work with home it will give aconsistent approach - in theory:)