1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please!!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lgilbert2, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Hi I am starting a new school on Monday in a year 1 class. I have never taught in year one before and just wondered if anybody had any initial assessment ideas they would be wiling to share for literacy and numeracy. The children don't start until Wednesday, and i don't want to go straight into my topic, is this a bad idea?! Sorry if this sounds stupid, just want to get it right and have started feeling extremely nervous!! Hope someone can help
    x

2. Hi I am starting a new school on Monday in a year 1 class. I have never taught in year one before and just wondered if anybody had any initial assessment ideas they would be wiling to share for literacy and numeracy. The children don't start until Wednesday, and i don't want to go straight into my topic, is this a bad idea?! Sorry if this sounds stupid, just want to get it right and have started feeling extremely nervous!! Hope someone can help
    x

3. Try assessing their reading and possibly spelling with the high frequency words and try to hear them read from their books.
    For Numeracy I would suggest playing some mathematical games and assessing them that way rather than on paper.
    It's a good idea to do these things and set the ground rules before you start but you might find two whole days before starting 'properly' too long. I personally would start Tuesday or Monday afternoon.
    Hope that helps. Good luck, you'll love Year 1!

4. Katie_Morag

Katie_Morag New commenter

Hi
    When I taught Primary One (Scottish equivalent to Reception year I think, children were aged 4/5) then I started the day with some time on the carpet altogether (10mins max as they couldn't maintain attention any longer) and went over a sound.
    Then they did 3 10min activities (sounds) at desks (in 3 groups and rotated around) and then back to carpet for 10mins. Then they had choosing time and then break.
    Same after break except did number activities and number songs to finish.
    Our first topic was Our School, so that fitted in quite well to start straight away (finding our way around the school, meeting the different people in the school who help us etc.) but if your topic is something that doesn't fit in in that way (e.g. the sea or something) then I would leave that a couple of weeks.
    Also when they're doing 'choosing' time (which I would put them to do after the lang activities and their maths activities) I would do individual sounds and maths assessments (find out which sounds and numbers each child knows/ recognises)