1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please!

Discussion in 'Music' started by robmusicman, Feb 26, 2011.

1. robmusicman

robmusicman New commenter

Hi everyone, I have an interview coming up and need to teach minimalism to year 9 for 30 minutes. I've had a few ideas, but I'm struggling!
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. robmusicman

Hi everyone, I have an interview coming up and need to teach minimalism to year 9 for 30 minutes. I've had a few ideas, but I'm struggling!
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

3. v12

v12

If there are enough tuned percussion instruments available, your own version of 'in C' would be a fantastic lesson with even the toughest class.
    Make your introduction exciting and enthusiastic, and it will drag the children along.
    Don't forget to play a couple of extracts of your favourite minimalist pieces - but not too long for each one, say 30" - make the lesson move quickly - and make it fun(ny) - don't forget Cage's 4'33"
    Simple rhythms on single notes and once all children are playing get them to change one by one as the pieces develops - perhaps with the ambitious adding simple patterns centred around your note of choice - so instead of Riley's 'in C' it becomes Rob's 'in D#'.

Hope this helps

4. spanboy

spanboy New commenter

I agree with v12 - make it fun.
    I do minimalism with my year 9s. When I mention the parallels with club dance music (loops, repetition etc) they really become engaged.
    IF there is a full set of keyboards or glocks/xylos etc available you could ask each pupil to prepare a short pentatonic ostinato of their own using black notes only (that way its GUARANTEED to sound fine). What I do is to tap each one on the shoulder to signal them to begin to play, going round the class til everyone has joined in, producing an increasing number of layers of ostinati (and a hypnotic effect). Pupils then listen to the effect of the 'waves' of sound as they play. Also you could put, for example, C D F G and C D F G A notes on the board, divide the class into groups A and B. Group A does CDFG while group B does CDFGA (to demonstate subtaction/addition etc): ask pupils what happens every so often i.e. the CDFG in unison between the 2 groups at the 6th repetition of group A and the 5th repetition of group B,
    Together with effective Qs and playing the class examples, you will have covered performing, composing, listening and appraising and if you seek out the instrumentalists/G&T, by asking them to make up harder ostinati, will have included differentiation - and vice versa for less able pupils.
    Hope this helps.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

If you decide to go with In C by Terry Riley, you can download a PDF score here:
    http://216.129.110.22/files/imglnks/usimg/4/47/IMSLP00899-TerryRiley-InC.pdf
    I displayed this on the board and the pupils tried to listen for each pattern coming in.
    I then made my own easier version and displayed this on the board - ( I created Bb and Eb versions and printed these for those playing transposing instruments) - and we attempted to perform our own version using any orchestral instruments the children could play and tuned percussion . The less able were allowed to 'stick' on a pattern towards the beginning that they could play, and the more able moved through the piece.
    Clapping - Steve Reich is a good piece to explore too. You can find the score here:
    http://www.lichtensteiger.de/clapping_music.html
    and a visualization here:
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/01/22/a-visualization-of-steve-reichs-clapping-music/

I discovered Philip Glass' Violin Concerto doing this unit - lovely!

6. marlin

7. Some posted this link on here a while ago, if you have access to computers it could be useful.

http://isleoftune.com/

8. marlin

Yes, I did that too!

9. robmusicman

Thank's for the replies everyone! My lesson was quite similar to the one rebecca described. However it didn't go as well as planned and I didn't get the job. Hey ho, it was my first ever interview, and they were really good with giving feedback!