1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help Please! Year 1 NQT interview lesson and doing induction part-time?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by JRV59, Nov 17, 2011.

1. JRV59

JRV59 New commenter

Hi All,

I am an NQT and I have an interview at a school I have worked in since Sept 2011 as SEN support. I'm required to teach 30mins Numeracy to year 1. I was thinking I could do something on time or capacity i.e activity using pasta...how many cups of pasta fit in a teapot, jug etc etc. But im unsure...any advice would be appreciated!
    Also as the job is a 3 to 2 day split (position for 3 days) how would this work in terms of induction?
    Thanks.

2. Hey mate. Your activities sound great. just get an objective sorted and you will be fine. To check an objective I have been using;

http://www.mewan.net/primary/cd_uploads/success_mathematics/resources/index.html

It gives you a focus objective and then gives you teaching ideas and how to confirm learning. Good Luck with that!

I was a part time NQT doing a 3-2 day split. It has taken me one year and one term to complete my NQT.

3. Capacity should be a good one to show new learning, I'd get them working in groups practically for ten minutes and recording their observations, and maybe have some flash cards with the vocab on them- more than, less than etc.

4. JRV59

JRV59 New commenter

Thanks for the advice both of you and the great link David, much appreciated! I'm okay with my lesson now just got to practice interview questions arrgh!