1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please with ideas for very poor statemented children in mainstream

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by takethatno1fan, Feb 29, 2012.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Hi,
    I have recently started a new job and have two children in my class that are operating at P4/P5 both with full time statements.
    Sometimes what we are doing in class is not appropriate for them and I think time could be better spent developing other skills.(such as developing independence, listening skills, sequencing etc.) I have never had children with such severe special needs before and I want to do right by them.
    I was thinking activities linked to our topics if possible, such as planting plants and talking about each step, taking digitial photographs and sequencing the photographs after the event. Am I on the right lines?
    Any suggestions would be very gratefully received. Thanks x

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I have listed on my blog by curriculum topic things I have on TES relating to specific topics. I work with kids with marked language problems and/or learning difficulties (although not severe) such as children with Down's Syndrome in Primary. You may find some general ideas and things for the topics. http://languageisheartosay.com

3. sueemc

sueemc New commenter

I've recently come out of mainstream into special - and the first thing I'd want is properly broken down P-levels - I never had them in mainstream - do you? ie. like the APP assessment levels for L1-5, but for P levels. I would have found them so useful, now they're essential! - (bsquared.co.uk).

4. I agree that it is really important to get a really good grasp of their abilities and next steps. In my special school we use PIVATS which can be very helpful. It contains performance indicators for core subjects and personal and social development (attention, interaction with others, personal organisation skills - I may have got the names of these three sub-headings wrong).
    You are right that you need to develop the skills they need next rather than just following the year 3 curriculum. If you know their next steps you can look for opportunities within your topic for them to be learning along with their peers. Children learn a lot from their peers, including their approach to work, so it is important that they have lots of opportunities to work with them. However, if they are doing activities which are way beyond their level, this will be frustrating and demoralising. There needs to be a balance.
    I also suspect that these pupils will be unable to sustain attention for very long at all. They will likely need short activities, broken up into manageable steps. You can decide which can be done as part of the whole class activity.
    I hope this makes sense. Sorry if I'm just rambling.