1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please with changes to GCSE

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by katykaty85, Apr 7, 2012.

1. katykaty85

katykaty85 New commenter

I am currently MPS2 but acting as a HOD in a one man department. Im a little
    confused by the whole situation. I think that i am correct in saying that S/C
    will be scrapped as schools will no longer get any points from the s/c grades
    so why would SLT want to maintain a S/C. Am i correct in this logic.

Secondly, i have about half the year group who opt for the full course RS.
    With RS being a compulsory subject that students must take my SLT are proposing
    that RS be taken by all pupils in Y9 and 10. This will obviously void my
    options course and a fear the motivation of students. Is anyone else in this
    situation whereby they already have a very successful full course and are going
    to lose this because all students will be made to do full course.

With this in mind, what alternatives are there for timetabling. RS is of
    course something all pupils are required to do. Is anyone tackling this problem
    by keeping the full course as an option and trying something else with those
    who have not elected it as an option. Perhaps collapsed timetable. Can you get
    away from teaching it to the other students in 10 and 11. What is the legal
    requirements these days?

Help please. I feel lost with this issue and presenting idea on Tuesday back
    to SLT.

2. katykaty85

katykaty85 New commenter

I am currently MPS2 but acting as a HOD in a one man department. Im a little
    confused by the whole situation. I think that i am correct in saying that S/C
    will be scrapped as schools will no longer get any points from the s/c grades
    so why would SLT want to maintain a S/C. Am i correct in this logic.

Secondly, i have about half the year group who opt for the full course RS.
    With RS being a compulsory subject that students must take my SLT are proposing
    that RS be taken by all pupils in Y9 and 10. This will obviously void my
    options course and a fear the motivation of students. Is anyone else in this
    situation whereby they already have a very successful full course and are going
    to lose this because all students will be made to do full course.

With this in mind, what alternatives are there for timetabling. RS is of
    course something all pupils are required to do. Is anyone tackling this problem
    by keeping the full course as an option and trying something else with those
    who have not elected it as an option. Perhaps collapsed timetable. Can you get
    away from teaching it to the other students in 10 and 11. What is the legal
    requirements these days?

Help please. I feel lost with this issue and presenting idea on Tuesday back
    to SLT.

3. Short course is staying - but as you correctly say doesn't count in headlinem easures but the qualification counts for what it always has.
    We do full course for everyone in years 10 and 11. One option you could do is have them all study full course but any who you think really aren't going to be motivated can just be entered for short course when you do the entries.

I have found that being a compulsory full course as opposed to short course (previously) has improved the motivation as my students have alawyas loved doing it but have given lower priority to a short course qual when it's come to revision.
    Only problem with doing it in 9 and 10 might be entries now everything is going linear rather than modular. Not actually sure if they can sit the exams in year 10 or not - not looked into it as not applicable to my context.

4. Short course will stay but not count. This will probably lead to it being scrapped by the exam boards.
    All exams must be sat as terminal - this means that they cannot do it as a Y9-10 course.
    At my school RS is a full option at KS4 (with equal time and status to all other option subjects). It is a popular choice and continues to grow despite the threat of Ebac and everything else. All students study RE in a combined RE/PSHE course of an hour a week. We have positive feedback from pupils about this - they are able to enjoy RE without it having to be exam focused.

5. Out of curiosity, how is the subject assessed?

6. 100% exam.
    For OCR full course is 4 1hr papers, short course is 2

7. Edexcel Full Course is 2 x 1 1/2 hour papers 100% exam

8. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

They CAN sit the GCSE in Year 10 and have it counted in Yr 11 so long as you cash it in in Yr 10. We are going to enter all kids in Yr 10 for f/c and then those that pass will do the A/S in Yr 11 and those who fail we will then decide if they do f/c or s/c.
    There are a few ways around this nonsense Gove has imposed on us - maths, for instance, are entering our students for mulitple exam boards to increase their chances - this is something common in our borough.

9. katykaty85

katykaty85 New commenter

Thanks for the help. It's interesting that so many schools have such a
    different approach to fulfilling the requirements.

Can i ask how other schools are going to fulfil the requirements to
    teach R.E with the short course being scrapped. Are people going to
    teach a non
    examined RE syllabus and keep full course as an option. Someone has said
    they teach RE/PHSE one hour a week. Does anyone intend to
    teach through collapsed timetables etc. I really would like to keep my
    options
    course RE.

Normal

false
    false
    false