1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please! What should I do first?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by fashmore, Apr 30, 2020.

1. fashmore

fashmore New commenter

Hi all,

I have just been asked to coordinate computing. The problem is we have no resources. At the moment we have about 6 refurbished laptops that are very shaky and 30 ipads that work great but are now out of date so won't install new apps and the children are able to delete/move items.
    We have as most schools a tiny budget so with lots of fundraising we can only replace the ipads or the laptops.
    We have been advised to go down the route of chromebooks which are totally new to me. Will we be able to cover all areas of the curriculum with the chromebooks or should we buy laptops or ipads?

Many thanks

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

You may do better to post on edugeek. People there are predominantly tech staff, but there are teachers and people who do both. Lots of support and advice there. Looks like you have three areas to consider: technical support and management; teaching; and money.

3. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

I assume you are primary
    Chrome books are much cheaper than iPads
    As for apps available there is a very good thread in this forum which details what can be used.

4. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Get your school to book you on an NCCE course which may be free depending on where you teach.
    Also look at https://www.barefootcomputing.org/ to see that computers and laptops are not the only resources that are needed and that you can teach a lot of the curriculum without them.

Chromebooks are great. You can definitely cover the whole of the Primary curriculum with them. Expect to pay around £200/device including the licencing. Firstly get your schools signed up to Google Suite Education though. Even if you don't use Chromebooks there are lots of useful free apps and software you can use.

Find your nearest CAS community who'll be able to support you.

6. fashmore

fashmore New commenter

This is brilliant! Thank you so much. Its a real good starting point.