1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP PLEASE! Teaching Proofreading Skills to Y6

Discussion in 'English' started by Dixie1234, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hiall
    I could really do with your advice here.... Have got to do a lesson observation for a Y6 interview next week and I need to teach proofreading. Does anyone have any ideas how I could make this fun and creative?
    I've not found too much in terms of resources to help me, but I was thinking of starting the lesson by getting the children to work in pairs to decide upon the key areas that they think need to be checked when proofreading and use this as basis for discussion. How do you do it - all your ideas appreciated.
    Cheers
    Dixie

2. Hiall
    I could really do with your advice here.... Have got to do a lesson observation for a Y6 interview next week and I need to teach proofreading. Does anyone have any ideas how I could make this fun and creative?
    I've not found too much in terms of resources to help me, but I was thinking of starting the lesson by getting the children to work in pairs to decide upon the key areas that they think need to be checked when proofreading and use this as basis for discussion. How do you do it - all your ideas appreciated.
    Cheers
    Dixie

3. Whoops!! As it's a proofreading thread - excuse the deliberate "Hiall"

4. Getting the students to 'be the teacher' works well I find. Give them a different coloured pen/highligher and set them to work proofreading a piece with deliberate errors, I find students enjoy this sort of exercise as they are in the position of being the expert. Go through the answers as a whole class to ensure they have made the corrections, deal with any misconceptions etc.
    BBC Skillswise have some excellent resources in their proofreading section that I have used in the past. I adapt the ideas to suit who I am teaching.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In the past I have photocpied examples of children's work which they then 'buddy' mark.