1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please! Table top activities!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teachme88, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hi all, I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time and already learned so much, I am hoping you can help me with a question.
    My new classroom is lucky enough to have all areas of continuous provision as well as 3 tables of a decent size, a carpet area and 'messy play' area (with sand, water, play-doh, paint, crafts etc)
    I'm struggling to know what to put out on the tables every day as I've never had so much spare space! One table will sometimes be used for adult led activities if a table is needed but that still leaves two tables spare. I'm finding it more difficult as it is the start of the year and I need to have activities children are able to use independently.
    So far I have put out pegs and boards, threading activities, unifix colour and picture matching and jigsaws etc.
    I hope this isn't a silly question! Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Hi all, I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time and already learned so much, I am hoping you can help me with a question.
    My new classroom is lucky enough to have all areas of continuous provision as well as 3 tables of a decent size, a carpet area and 'messy play' area (with sand, water, play-doh, paint, crafts etc)
    I'm struggling to know what to put out on the tables every day as I've never had so much spare space! One table will sometimes be used for adult led activities if a table is needed but that still leaves two tables spare. I'm finding it more difficult as it is the start of the year and I need to have activities children are able to use independently.
    So far I have put out pegs and boards, threading activities, unifix colour and picture matching and jigsaws etc.
    I hope this isn't a silly question! Thanks in advance for your help!

3. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

puzzles, small world stuff, counters for sorting ,musical instruments etc

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

balance scales and conkers/pine cones/shells/marbles ...
    padlocks and keys
    clocks and screwdrivers
    tracing
    stencils
    simple board games
    scissors and magazines/catalogues
    stickers
    cover with lining paper and ink pads and toy cars to make tracks

5. Thanks so much for all the ideas so far...I can feel a list coming on! Keep them coming [​IMG]
    I forgot to mention it is a reception class.

6. Msz

Take photographs of common objects showing the whole object and a close up - laminate and match
    Nesting boxes and dolls [​IMG]

finger puppets
    clothes pegs and paper plates sand timer can you make a flower before the sand runs out?

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'm sure that I'm going to duplicate other people's answers as you can only see one post at a time when you reply. But anyway, so far I've had:
    pencil and crayon activities - tracing, stencils, those templates that you put under a piece of paper to do rubbings
    puzzles and games - tray puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, pairs, dominos
    construction with small pieces (big construction is on the carpet) - lego, art straws, magnetic blocks
    small world - I do have a Small World area, but have sometimes had additional small world toys out
    fine motor activities - lacing, bead threading, peg boards, small sorting objects and large tweezers
    tap tap (hammer and nails)
    magnetic pictures, fuzzy felts
    numicon
    sorting dishes, sorting trays, counting and sorting objects
    measuring worms and activity cards
    tactile play - dry pasta, pulses

8. Thanks so much for the great ideas everyone!
    Caraid - could you explain the measuring worms and activity cards for me please?
    Also, I am going to order some large tweezers, what objects would be good to start this activity with? Beads? dried peas?
    Thanks again [​IMG]

9. Msz

beads -peas- mini marshmallows - raisins, paperclips -sequins the list is endless

10. Josie Jo

Josie Jo New commenter

We often cover the table with lining paper (or old wallpaper with blank side up) using masking tape. We then provide large coloured marker pens and encourage children to draw large scale. Sometimes we provide the trains, and the children have to draw the track and other landmarks, eg station, trees, roads, hills, houses, etc.
    You can add any kind of small world and encourage the children to draw on the paper to make the "background", eg small minibeasts then children draw a garden - flowers, trees, plants, garden path, vegetables, etc. Or provide cars, children have to draw the roads, buildings. Or underwater creatures, children draw the sea, fish, etc.
    We also often put the construction on a large table rather than on the floor. The children play with it in a completely different way than on the floor and there is often more collaborative play.

11. Thanks for you response again! I have used large paper before but LOVE the idea of providing small world resources to give the theme!

12. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Measuring worms are just a set of plastic worms that come in different colours and sizes. I've just googled, but the ones that were shown are a bit different from the ones that I have in school - although I'm sure that you'd use them in the same way.
    The activity cards have each have pictures of about 6 different worms and you have to try to match the worms to the pictures. You can also do other activities like ordering different worms by length, finding things in the classroom that are shorter or longer than the worms etc.