1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help please! standard grade solo programme

Discussion in 'Music' started by talibecca, Feb 8, 2012.

1. I have a (private) piano pupil who is doing Standard Grade music this session - piano is her solo instrument. The programme doesn't add up to 4 minutes (this is where people derise me for my ignorance, I should have sorted this out sooner.........) and I would like to know if it is acceptable for me to add repeats without prior approval from sqa? We have another piece ready which is grade 3 standard (the rest of programme is from current Grade 3 ABRSM syllabus) but I didn't realise we needed prior approval from sqa for a non-syllabus piece so now I'm stuck. Assuming I can't get sqa approval at this late date (I have the approval form ready today but I assume I'm far too late) then can I augment this programme with repeats?
    I would be most grateful for advice and yes, I will know better next time.

2. I have a (private) piano pupil who is doing Standard Grade music this session - piano is her solo instrument. The programme doesn't add up to 4 minutes (this is where people derise me for my ignorance, I should have sorted this out sooner.........) and I would like to know if it is acceptable for me to add repeats without prior approval from sqa? We have another piece ready which is grade 3 standard (the rest of programme is from current Grade 3 ABRSM syllabus) but I didn't realise we needed prior approval from sqa for a non-syllabus piece so now I'm stuck. Assuming I can't get sqa approval at this late date (I have the approval form ready today but I assume I'm far too late) then can I augment this programme with repeats?
    I would be most grateful for advice and yes, I will know better next time.

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Talibecca, don't worry! You don't need SQA approval for Standard Grade (you DO for the Int.1+2, Higher and AH) - music teachers are trusted to judge accuratley at SG level ([​IMG]) it is absolutely OK to add in repeats to make up the time - the examiner marks the pupil on playing exactly what the music says.
    For future ref. the approval time runs from May till 31st Oct - if there is anything else I can help you with please ask! Have you a date yet for your exam? We don't but the piping VE is here on 20th March so I'm hoping to hear soon. I used to examine but as I'm sole-teacher and my numbers have increased I'm not going out this year.

4. thanks!! It has been a long time since I taught in high school so I'm right out of the loop. We have 3 pieces from the grade 3 syllabus prepared and I'm afraid I assumed that was enough, without timing her - although I knew she needed 4 minutes I think I was relying on the school to let us know if she didn't have enough. Of course they will have been relying on me to prepare her correctly so I feel really stupid. I could add repeats to one of the pieces she is doing - the 1st 16 and the last 16 bars are the same, and if we repeat each of these sections it takes the programme to 4 mins (plus slower metronome markings). Do you think that's too much- to repeat 32 bars? I don't think she has a date yet. I have another SG pupil but piano is 2nd study, the rest of my pupils are younger so this is my first foray into Standard Grade presentations for years! I used to be single teacher department and went through moderation, inspection and exam presentations then, and all during my probabationary period! However that was a long time ago! I will make sure I know all the dates for approval etc next time around. I've been worried about posting as I was expecting lots of derisatory comments about my lack of foresight and knowledge, I do feel quite ignorant and stupid. But I'm trying to fix it. I'm so glad your replied - and with kindness and advice, just what I need!

5. me again, I've just discovered that the pupil in question is doing Intermediate 2, and not standard grade credit which I had previously thought. This means I definitely would need approval on the piece, and of course I'm too late. Do you think it's still ok to add these repeats? eeeeeekkkkkk!

6. Hi tailbecca,
    Don't panic. First of all, any piece which is currently, or has been previously, on any of the exam boards syllabus for grade 3 or above is acceptable. My advice is not to add in repeats which are not written in the music. It shows the candidate is unprepared and making up time and could be subject to a referral to the principal assessor. If the candidate has other pieces that have been on previous syllabus for grade 3 use them. The exam itself the examiner will only hear one in it's entirety and then sample the others, stopping each one before the end. Accurate timings are essential. Don't be tempted not to play at written tempo. Tempo is one of the grading criteria. Do a bit of searching for pieces the candidate can play against past syllabi and see if you can get the time together that way.
    Good luck to you and the candidate.

7. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

8. thank you!!! I had posted on Christopher Norton's website and got a reply telling that the piece had been in the AMEB syllabus! I would never have thought of that! I have contacted them to ask for confirmation but am I right in assuming that it won't make any difference? As far as I can tell the pieces for Int 2 need to be from a British syllabus. I will post separately about this to see if anyone can tell me. I have contacted the pupils' school as well, and I suppose I could contact the SQA too. thanks again