1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please - secondary school foundation/nurture class

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by anonymousarty, May 30, 2011.

1. anonymousarty

anonymousarty New commenter

Hi,
    I am in the very lucky position in that my school is trialling a foundation/transition class next year and want me to be the teacher. I have experience of working with <font style="color:black;background-color:Red;">SEN</font> students, but I have not seen this model in action. We are looking at me teaching the students literacy, numeracy humanities and a practical subject, they will go to another teacher for science and pe.
    Would people mind sharing experience/advice for the sort of things I need to do/study/organise?

I am very excited, and equally nervous!

2. anonymousarty

Hi,
    I am in the very lucky position in that my school is trialling a foundation/transition class next year and want me to be the teacher. I have experience of working with <font style="color:black;background-color:Red;">SEN</font> students, but I have not seen this model in action. We are looking at me teaching the students literacy, numeracy humanities and a practical subject, they will go to another teacher for science and pe.
    Would people mind sharing experience/advice for the sort of things I need to do/study/organise?

I am very excited, and equally nervous!

3. anonymousarty

Hi! Thanks sharing would be great! I have studied some nurture stuff, and use it at the moment with a year 7 class. Obviously, there will be a focus on nurture in the classroom, but the circle time will be from another teacher. I will be teaching most of the subjects and trying to raise their attaintment.

4. My email karenmews@aol.com - I'll send you what I've got so far. Exciting isn't it?

5. Sencosfriend

Sencosfriend New commenter

Hi both
    Staffordshire have done a lot of work on Nurture in Secondary schools (as have Wigan) and they have just produced a booklet and DVD on the process undertaken by Weston Rd High School, Stafford - they have been running a very succesful group - like yours - in the main aimed at easing transition. I am certain they would be willing for you to visit them - just contact them directly. If you are interested in further information/resources then contact judith.walley@staffordshire.gov.uk who is the SEN Adviser for Staffs responsible for supporting Nurture within the County. There is a charge but dont think it is much.

6. oh how exciting- i too am starting to tecah the year 7 nurture group in a secondary school ill hav 19 kids with a full time teaching assitant and the aim is to raise attainment
    i have from pivots to level 4

resources and help would be much appreciated