1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please - Recipe for Sultana & Cherry Cake

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ljr, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ljr

ljr New commenter

I am going to enter my local village Spring Show, & wondered if anyone has a really good recipe for this class? I have searched the net & come up with a few, but I'd rather have a recipe that I trust.

2. I don't have a recipe ljr but why not choose 2 or 3 of the recipes you have seen online and give them a go. you could then pick your favourite - and enjoy the results!
    Good luck with the Spring show.

3. ljr

ljr New commenter

Thanks for the reply Cosmos, that is exactly what I was thinking I would do. I have a few weeks to practice & hopefully my family won't get too fed up with tasting my experiments.

4. Oooooooooooooooh!
    My only advice would be to practice soaking the fruit enough to make it plump and juicy but not leaving it wet enough to sink in the batter!
    Are there any rules about the kind of cherries - dry, fresh, alcohol soaked.....?
    Try soaking the sultanas in good OJ for about 24 hours, drain them so they are not very wet. That should make them plump and moist without affecting flavour.
    AND please try an Anglesey cake version http://thefoody.com/baking/angleseycake.html
    You never know, it might be just different enough to be noticed.

5. ljr

ljr New commenter

Thanks for the ideas Pobble, there are no rules as to the kind of cherries - I was thinking about sour cherries....but.....they are really strict and don't 'do' different. If it says it must be a sultana & cherry cake then it must be a sultana & cherry cake. Last year I entered a jar of my home made jam but it was disqualified as the jar was the wrong shape - it was a one pound jar, but it was a honey jar (apparently) not a jam jar. However I will try the Anglesey cake version - thank you.

6. Sour cherries do well soaked in OJ too.
    Try soaking a few and having a taste. You can't taste the OJ but the dried fruit is just 'plumptious' .

I think our local village fete has equally strict rules - I have never entered but I could try this year!!
    I'll make a point of checking the jar rules [​IMG]

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Glace cherries are fabbo in this kind of cake. You could be 'different' and source red, yellow and green ones or use the natural, deep red ones.

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You could be adventurous and use Golden Sultanas (very pretty) as a change from the usual brown ones. Tossing the fruit in a little flour before mixing in is supposed to help prevent sinking. What about a Cherry Genoa type of firm cake to prevent the fruit congragating at the base of the tin?
    Good luck.

9. ljr

ljr New commenter

Many thanks for all the hints & tips - I'll let you know how I get on. The entry cost for each class is 10p and first prize is 50p, so I'm afraid I won't be taking you all to the pub to celebrate.

10. I was tempted by this and last night I made an Anglesey cake with OJ soaked sultanas (I only have the golden ones) and kirsch soaked/preserved cherries.

It is lovely! Very, very tasty! The cherries didn't even begin to sink!!! I hope Climber likes it when he eventually gets home, it's a big cake for one!

11. Great results!

NOW COUGH UP THE RECIPES - you know you need to repay our kindness [​IMG]

12. ljr

ljr New commenter

I'm flattered that you ask! I feel very humble in the company of such experienced cooks. I will post the recipe tomorrow - only just logged in & its a bit late now.

13. ljr

ljr New commenter

The sultana & cherry cake is here;-

http://thehomelyyear.blog.co.uk/2008/11/30/sultana-and-cherry-loaf-5136755/

I used white sugar instead of brown as it came out very dark the first time I made it.

The lemon curd recipe is here: -

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes/show/52-microwave-lemon-or-lime-curd

I added the lemon rind to the juice and doubled the recipe to make a whole jar. It was delicious.

Enjoy!

14. Ithangyew!

15. I did a microwave lemon curd recipe the other day for the first time and it's genius! Can't believe how much I faffed about before making it on the hob - so easy in the microwave!

16. I'll grab some lemons at the market and give it a whirl. I loves lemon curd!