1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help, please re retiring then teaching a couple of days per week

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by katechb, Sep 25, 2015.

1. katechb

katechb New commenter

Hi, Everyone,

I'd be very grateful if someone could advise me, please.
    I intend to retire and take my full pension at Christmas-I am already 60. I need to take my full pension now as otherwise I fall very quickly out of my best 10 years and my pension actually starts to reduce. However, I would like to continue teaching for a couple of days a week [if I do this it keeps me under the amount I'm allowed to earn before my pension is affected/stopped]. Can I ask school if they will employ me on a part time basis? I appreciate this means a new contract and thus giving up all the rights I've built up over decades of teaching but I don't think I'm able to continue working any other way.

Thank you in hope of your advice,

Catherine

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Hi

I think if your school agrees to reducing your role to part time then you will have to do a phased retirement taking a maximum of 75% of your pension. If you resign from your contract and are offered a new contract for a different role then it is possible to take all of your pension. Watch out for rules about how much you can earn if you are doing both, though, as you are aware.

katechb likes this.
  3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I know of many who have done as you propose.
    If your school is happy to offer you a new, reduced or part time, post,, they can do so. (I think there has to be a 1 day break of service.)

HOWEVER the experts on this are TPS phone them, explain the situation and check. There may have been changes since my ex colleagues did this.

katechb likes this.
  4. katechb

katechb New commenter

Thank you, much appreciated

5. katechb

katechb New commenter

Thank you for this, I hope they agree!

6. tudor01

tudor01 New commenter

I am just starting my phased retirement application. Already taken a day a week off work with the support of my school - wow, what a great feeling - every Friday is now mine!!! I have taken a drop in salary to do this and in January I am taking Monday off as well - with the blessing of the school. At that point I will let the 75% PR money kick in (it is partly because I am not quite 60 so will have to accept a little ARB) I feel very lucky and am looking forward to long weekends. I have plenty to do as well so it is not as if In will be 'retiring'.

Teaching has changed considerably since I started and I am glad to be dropping out quietly but I intend to work on for 3 days as week for another 5 years or so. What is bothering me more and more though is the lack of concentration in the modern child, the need for instant success and the implication that everyone must succeed all the time. When I was at school I rarely won an award and did not do that well academically but I still managed a career in education as well as the services etc.....

So if you read this - plan well and early and if you can take the time off - I have seen others depart this world too early, worked to all hours and years but I am determined to let myself have a retirement under my terms.

Go for it.

katechb and Sundaytrekker like this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

That sounds a really good plan, Tudor. I'm not sure I want to continue for another five years. I am in a senior position and feel I would still carry all the responsibility for less pay. I'm still aiming to go just before 60 if I can. I agree with you about how much the job has changed. We used to accept that children were different in their talents and abilities.

Let us know Kate how you get on.

katechb likes this.
  8. katechb

katechb New commenter

thank you

9. katechb

katechb New commenter

thank you, I will. A friend has suggested that I opt out of the teachers' pension scheme thus collecting my pension and at the same time negotiate less hours with school-I'm going to post another question on here re this as I'd like some advice and it may be helpful to others in a similar position, thanks again to everyone, I really appreciate your help, Kate

10. tudor01

tudor01 New commenter

I was in a senior position too but since coming back down the ladder life has really been so much better. It is all about balance, opportunity and planning. I now teach - no politics (I stay out of it all), go home at 3.30 - 4.00 and sleep well. Being experienced in my subject the teaching part is easy.