1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please!..on the verge of stress

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by martintat, Nov 3, 2017.

1. martintat

martintat New commenter

Hi, Serious help needed please...

After four long and tiresome years of constant battle with my line manaer over my constant changing of roles and responsibilities, not to mention timetable changes, I am on the edge of a point of no return.

Long story but to summarise:

Changes to timetable on a monthly basis, and changes to role/responsibilities several times within a year...and its now getting to much to handle as even more responsibility has been added.

I have requested a job description review, however my line manager is not very forthcoming with this and just notes each aspect and how it links with no real thought of all other apsects of role. ..do I involve union to support me eith this or is there another way?..I have raised with nex LT above my LM but think he's just told her to sort it, which she isnt/doesnt/cant/or maybe doesnt have the ability or time to do...either way..im non the wiser for requesting it.

Additionally, after requesting a meeting with the next up LT two weeks ago, ive heard nothung..even whilst cintinuing to work in a stressed state of mind and body! Ive, today, emailed to query the folloe up of this not occurring, yet feel let down because of not even being briefly spoken ti about it since my original cry for help two weeks ago.

Im on the verge of docs and stress sign off, but don't want to be defeated and give in tothis by being signed off. But if the two levels of manager above me arent or cant help then what can I do?.

Guidance and direction please...ive done my best year on year to raise concerns, but never properly been listened to, and it keeps coming back around even when i am.

Basically..do I go to union. To HR or do i get signed off before I burst. Im not sure where to turn to solve both the above issues...#1.JOB DESCRIPTION AND #2. STRESS.

Look forward to your help

Yours sincerely,

A hardworking, conscientious and successful male inclusion support worker and part time teacher - who is also not paid to teach either by the way (another somewhat minor concern espcially teaching average of 9/10 lessons per week!).

Thank you in advance :)

2. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

Hi

I read this, couldn't think of anything constructive to say and left, but then realised that 35 other people had viewed this and not replied so I'll give it a go...

How about writing down a list with all the things you think you should be doing (for the job you were hired for) on one side, and all the extra things you are now being asked to do on the other. At the bottom put your pay rate in a very large font.

Take the list to your line manager as it will clarify to her (and everyone else) that you are doing too much/the wrong things and will let her see your pay. She might not know that you are not paid to teach. When i was a manager I wasn't told the salaries of the people working under me. That is something that only the headteacher HR and maybe some of SLT usually know.

If the department is under-resourced her manager might be giving her extra jobs and telling her to delegate. If she is not organised or cannot process lots of verbal information quickly then when you raise the issues she isn't able to see the whole picture and gets stressed also. The list will help her see the problem.

Alternatively, she might be one of the very few managers that are trying to make their job easier at your expense. If that is the case then warn her that if you are put under so much stress that you become ill, then her job is going to be so much worse.

hope this helps

blueskydreaming likes this.
  3. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

@martintat
    A few thoughts come to mind.
    SLT in a school have a duty of care towards their employees, once they are aware of a problem. I wondered if a short email to your SLT stating that you are having some difficulty that is impacting on yor health and respectfully requesting their support as a matter of urgency might trigger that response. (Only if you were clear about this in your email to LT...if not, re email her/him doing so rather than going to SLT).
    There was a big shift towards proving that TAs (and implicitly other support workers) were effective by limiting interventions to six weeks in some places, and then assessing their impact. This can be quite stressful for workers, in that every small group/one to one becomes a high stakes effort, demanding results, often with them rushing from one timetabled 20 minutes in one end of the school to another 20 minute intervention at the other end of the school (often with no time timetabled for getting between the two). I imagine that this is some of the problem, along with them using you as a coverall when there is shortfall of staff anywhere. Are you actually moved every month, or is it about 6 weeks?
    Are you teaching whole classes or smaller groups? Are you given lesson plans to deliver, or are you expected to plan, mark and assess these lessons?
    Whatever the case, whatever is going on with your line manager (who is probably stressed ot themselves if the situation is very chaotic) you need to look after yourself. Make SLT aware officially. Have the conversation. Think about solutions that you could suggest, if you are up to it.
    I do have to wonder though, if you have struggled with the situation for 4 years, if either the role or the educational establishment that you are working in, might not be the best for you?

4. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

If this has been going on for four years and has not been resolved, it doesn’t sound likely that it will. You need to look for another job and consider if this is the right role for you.

5. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

Ask to see a copy of the school's staff wellbeing policy. That'll put the wind up them as there probably isn't one - but there should be!