1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please! MFL teaching hours at KS4?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by EverybodyEducating, Jul 14, 2016.

1. EverybodyEducating

EverybodyEducating New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out how many lesson hours per week schools tend to allot for MFL GCSE pupils.

In my school we start GCSEs in Year 9 and they have 2 hours of MFL per week in Years 9, 10 and 11.

Please could you comment with how many hours pupils usually get in your school? It would really help me with some research I'm doing!

Thanks!

2. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

We also start GCSE in Y9 and are down to 2 hours per week next year as well. :(

Previously we've had 3 x 50 minute lessons in all year groups. But MFL, Humanities and Arts/Technology subjects are being reduced to 2 hours to increase the number of Maths and English lessons.

I did some of my training in an upper school (KS4 and 5 only) and GCSE pupils had 5 hours per fortnight on a two-week timetable.

I think 2 hours per week is going to be tough, particularly for our least able pupils (we have MFL for all at KS4).

3. Dodros

Dodros Lead commenter

When I started my teacher career back in 1971 in a boys' maintained grammar-technical school, a foreign language had five 45-minute lessons a week. In schools on the European continent, the foreign language still commands a generous (one might say realistic!) number of lessons compared to other subjects, which is why monoglossia is a less prevalent condition across the Channel.

4. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

GCSE over 2 years, 2.5 hours / week.

5. EverybodyEducating

EverybodyEducating New commenter

Thanks - really helpful! Yes, it is tricky to fit everything in within two hours.Unfortunately it's just the way things are with maths, English and sciences being given priority.

Anyone else? :)

6. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

Two years, 4x35mins per week.

7. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

2 hours a week in Y9, then 5 hours a fortnight in Y10-11.

8. shropshire14

shropshire14 New commenter

3 hours a week in years 10 and 11.

9. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

International school in China. Ab initio in two years 5 periods of 40 minutes a week.

10. northpolatskaya

northpolatskaya New commenter

In years 10 and 11 we have 3x 50 min lessons per week and with the new specification we will need every minute I suspect. I would try to negotiate more time if I were you because your time allocation seems low to me

11. mrstique

mrstique New commenter

3 hours a week. I know of other schools who have cut allocation and think it is unsustainable, particularly as new GCSE specs offer a different and higher level of challenge. Our SLT are understanding and supportive of languages, we are a valued subject (as we should be) and I think this level of support is essential to the future of language teaching in this country. Rome was not built in a day and, let's face it, languages is a long game.

12. divine_dodo

divine_dodo New commenter

We get 5 hours a fortnight in Y10/11 but our dual linguists only get 3 hours of each language in Y8/9 which means those that have taken on Sp/Ger as a new language in Y8 and do it to GCSE have to spped through everything!

13. fursdonjay

fursdonjay New commenter

I started out in the seventies, as Dodros did. MFL, usually French, Spanish or German was given a two hour slot per week, at our feeder primary schools. The upper schools, in which I worked, allotted five fifty minute sessions for MFL per week.
    Later, in the Advisory service, that allocation of time was maintained until the early nineties, when ‘accountability’ became popular with politicians. From this post, that allowance would seem to be continuing to erode. Your references to current timetables for MFL are surely untenable. Is it surprising that so many teachers in our schools are suffering from ‘burn out’? Politicians reading this post should take note. To those who are struggling to meet these targets, my very best wishes extend to you in the hope that sanity will return soon. May 2018 be the year to make life easier for those who teach in our schools!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    emmamallard2000 and agathamorse like this.
  14. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

2.5hrs / week, though sometimes we get a 2 hour block, which is dire. With the content and the multiple skills needed for the new GCSE it's difficult to fit everything in. 2hours / week will be very intense to say the least!

agathamorse likes this.
  15. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Currently 2 hours a week.
    At my last school one hour a week.
    Before that 3 hours, one triple lesson - I kid you not...