1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please: Listening activity - children draw a picture as you describe it

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Nicola21, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Hi, I've heard of activities you can do to help children practise listening skills where the teacher describes something like a house or an alien and the children have to draw it. They must make sure they include the things the teacher says, e.g. three eyes or four arms. I was wondering how these activities are delivered to make them interesting for the children. Do you just read out the list of things they should draw or do you put the things into a story or something? If anyone has done an activity like this successfully I would really appreciate your advice!
    Thanks

2. you could try passing on the picture after each instruction - it keeps the kids engaged as they wonder what the picture will look like when they get it. we did it with aliens and the different interpretations was great. we then talked about why they were different and it led onto good and bad instructions. the kids then went off and di various linked activities e.g. make a building and describe it for their partner to copy.

3. Hiya- I do a couple of listening activities with my children.
    One is called 'collective memory', where the children are in small groups (say 4-6). Each group has a sheet of A4 paper split into 6.
    Before the activity starts, you draw/write 6 different things in each box (on a master copy) and make copies to place around the room (strategically placed so children can't see them!) When each group has their blank sheet, they then go one by one to the sheets you have hidden and try to remember the contents of one box. They do this for 30 secs then return to the group and tell the sketcher (there's only one sketcher, they don't change) what to draw, making good use of positional/size language in the process. They get to describe for 30 secs and then then the next person in the group goes to look at the 'hidden' sheet. This is repeated 7-8 times and then at the end, you give each group a copy of the original pictures so they can all discuss how easy/tricky it was.

The other one I do involves Unifix cubes (the ones where you can attach cubes to all 6 faces)
    Children are in pairs, and each have an identical set of cubes (colour and quantity must be the same). They sit back to back and one of them makes a shape. They then have 2mins to describe to their partner how to make the shape and where all the different cubes need to go. Compare shapes and then swap. This again, makes good use of positional vocabulary.

Hope these make sense!

4. I remember doing this a few years back on my teaching practise. It was from a PrimEd book entitled 'Thinking skills'.
    You read out a list of instructions i.e. draw a circle in the top right hand corner of the page the size of a 10p coin etc
    The children try to create the picture you are describing as best they can and there is an original copy in the book to compare it too.

5. Thank you for all the ideas, you've been very helpful!

6. Actually is was called 'Listening skills', there's lots of different listening activities.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Was with a class of year 1 today i got them to draw small pictures on a white board of a story....they then used the pictures to tell thier story.....I was gobsmaked how it worked.
    some of the children got up stood in front of the class and told excellent stories withther white boards shown.....so confident......some where kids who can barely write , and others who spoke little so the TA told me.
    BY the way this was at 2.30 in the afternoon...over a period of 20 mins.

8. I have done this frequently with my Year 2 and Year 3's and they love it. They often ask for it.
    Normally I draw a picture that is made up of shapes and lines. I then descibe it to them and they listen and reproduce. They are getting very good. The child with the closest picture gets to come to the front, draw their own and then describe it for others to follow. ( What I mean by you drawing it is I have a white board which I draw it on but don't show it until the end). The children also use white boards to draw theirs.

9. deeley

deeley New commenter

we call them barrier games - try searching for that term maybe...I love em!