1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP PLEASE!!!! Interview Lesson - Year 1 - Plan a narrative story.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by puppypaws, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Hi everyone - really need some help!

I am a PGCE student at the min, and have only had experience teaching KS2. However, I have applied for a job as 'classroom teacher' within a school, and have just received a phone call asking me to teach a one hour lesson to a year 1 class. The lesson will be the first of the topic and the children are to plan a narrative story.

I am PANICING!! I haven't taught ks1 at all. The job I applied for didn't specify which key stage the position was for, and now I am seriously panicing!

Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received.. I don't know where to start with my lesson plan...Thank you so much. x

2. Hi everyone - really need some help!

I am a PGCE student at the min, and have only had experience teaching KS2. However, I have applied for a job as 'classroom teacher' within a school, and have just received a phone call asking me to teach a one hour lesson to a year 1 class. The lesson will be the first of the topic and the children are to plan a narrative story.

I am PANICING!! I haven't taught ks1 at all. The job I applied for didn't specify which key stage the position was for, and now I am seriously panicing!

Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received.. I don't know where to start with my lesson plan...Thank you so much. x

3. Any idea what narrative it is or have they left that to you to decide?

4. story maps would be one way i would go... i think! Although no experience in KS1, as have been in Junior school until this year!
    Lx

5. They literally said -

"You will have 1 hour. There will be a TA and you are expected to use ICT and the interactive whiteboard. The lesson is the 1st of the topic, and the children have to plan a narrative story."

THATS IT!! Its so vague..and I am stressing!

6. My brain is frazzled this evening so will have a think. Possibly take something like a fantasy story and get them to plan a story based on this. It is really hard to do a plan like this on your first session as I would go through a myriad of things first before I got to the planning stage with my y1s!

7. I have only taught year 5, and year 6 - so the prospect of year 1 is making me feel very shakey!! If i'd have known that the job was for ks1, I wouldn't have applied, but I didn't know how to say "No" when they asked me to come for interview!! AHHHHH

8. It may not necessarily be with y1s. I am surprised by how much I have enjoyed teaching y1s. I previously taught KS2, mainly y5 and 6. It is very different but can be fun.

9. Hiya,

The first thing you need to decide is do you want to teach year 1? If you don't want to be a Year 1 teacher then it's pointless going to the interview and wasting everybody's time. If you do still want to go for the interview then my advice would be to show the children a short fairytale (Three Little Pigs, Golidlocks etc) on the IWB first. Talk about beginning, middle and end as a starting point and then ask them to do a story map either based on that story or their own ideas of a version of it. I can email you some stuff I've done in Year 1 on narrative and story writing.

10. Idea -
    Show a photograph on the interactive whiteboard to get them started. Use a 'setting' one such as a beach, haunted house, huge staircase...
    Use this as a backdrop for some role play. Ask a child to hotseat. Sit them in front of the setting and ask the other children for suggestions as to how this character would be feeling at the start of the story. What's going on at the start? What could happen in this story? Use the structure: opening - something happens - events to sort it out - story ending. Explain to the class that they will have to decide what happens to sort out the problem and what happens at the end. Give them each a sheet of paper divided into 4 rectangles numbered 1-4. Ask them to draw what is happening in each part of their story. They should have similar pics for the opening and the problem as discussed as a class. They have to plan the solution and the ending. Plenary - children share stories with a partner and peer-assess. Ask the partners to draw a smiley, straight or sad face depending on how good they think their friend's story sounds. Ask 1 or 2 to share with the whole class. Praise clear solutions to the problem and good endings.

The TAs role could be to encourage speaking and listening about story plans with a group of higher ability children - encouraging them to describe the setting, character appearance and feelings etc.

You could work with the lower ability children to support their idea development.

Extension - some children could write their story opening.

Hope that's a little bit helpful. Good luck.

11. That took me a few mins to type so I've only just read the last few posts before mine.

I trained in KS2 and was in a similar situation to you but I took the job in KS1 and I absolutely love it. So much so that I intend to stay in KS1 for as long as possible and I'm even looking at KS1 leader jobs. I'd never have applied for the job if I'd known it was for KS1 (it was advertised as KS2 and was informed of change at interview). So go for it! If you really hate it at your interview lesson then you can always withdraw from the interview. Can you get in to see KS1 at your current school?

12. miss detention - if you wouldn't mind sending me some stuff that you'd done on narrative writing, that would be fantastic - thank you. My email is fellowsuk2k@hotmail.com

littlemiss283 - WOW, thank you so much for your ideas - that sounds great! Also your advise has made me feel much better. I think that I am panicing so much because I don't really know what to expect as I am used to much older children. This is my very first interview, and it's way out of my comfort zone, so thank you for posting back. :) At the mo, I am back at uni, so I'm not attached to a school at the mo. My final attachment is KS1, so this may work out well for me.. !

13. *advice even

14. Puppypaws - where is your interview? I have got to do a narrative writing lesson for a Year 1 class for an interview. Im wondering whether we have applied to the same school?!

15. Hi,
    I may be way off the mark here as I am still an undergrad! Others may be able to say if my ideas are suitable (or not!). Could you phone the school and ask for some information about the children's development levels so that you can plan for differentiation (I think this will show your awareness and commitment-sp- and guide you in the direction of the teaching and learning you want to take place). Also ICT encompasses many things, maybe the lower ability children could work with you or TA on shared ideas for planning then record these on a tape recorder/ digital blue. I used to work as a TA in year 1 and we used this alot, the children loved it, esp when it was played back to the class during the plenary! I am not sure if the school will want to see your planning but, as they said there will be a TA, don't forget to include the role you want him/her to take in your planning and try to share these with the TA!
    Good luck
    blossom

16. Don't worry! you'll be absolutely fine.

Teaching the lil kids new stuff is great. and dont worry if some of them dont understand it at first! the way you help those children to understand will look good for you because it shows your ability to address differentiation issues.

they wouldnt have offered you the opportunity if they didnt think you were good enough

:)

x