1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP please Information texts year 1 pirates theme ideas?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Missryan26, May 13, 2012.

1. <font face="Times New Roman">

</font>
    Hi all

Hope everyone has had a
    good weekend.

Wondering if any of you
    could help me with some ideas. Starting information texts in our year 1 class
    and our theme is pirates and Explorers. How can I start???

thanks

Paula x[​IMG]

2. <font face="Times New Roman">

</font>
    Hi all

Hope everyone has had a
    good weekend.

Wondering if any of you
    could help me with some ideas. Starting information texts in our year 1 class
    and our theme is pirates and Explorers. How can I start???

thanks

Paula x[​IMG]

3. I used the Oxford Owl website (where you can look at ebooks for free and display on IWB for whole class shared read). They have some great books about pirates and I used the one about Blackbeard as an information text as well as doing research in ICT. We then used Blackbeard as our focus and did hot seating, research, fiction and non-fiction for a few weeks. Blackbeard then 'stole' our treasure and we used atlases to identify where he might have taken it.
    I also used the Usbourne Beginners series book 'Ships' which is about &pound;6 from Amazon. We looked at the parts of Blackbeard's ship and then used this to make our own ships (linked to Science materials - float/sink, waterproof or not). Of course, by the end of the theme, Blackbeard buried the treasure in our school and we had to follow instructions to find it (beginning instructions as a class). Hope that helps.