1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please....history of the local area observation and lack of inspiration!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NiCiX, May 24, 2011.

1. Hello
    This is my first year as a year 3 teacher and we have just started a history topic on our local area. It links in with our geography unit too, looking at land use and how the village has changed over the years etc.
    We have already started the topic by considering what the historical buildings/symbols might be, places of particular interest, and the children have carried out some research using written sources and ICT.
    We have walks in the locality planned for a couple of weeks time, but I am being observed in this history/geography unit in between these walks and unfortunately I have no inspirational ideas which have come to me yet and would be really grateful if anybody could share anything that has worked well and really engaged the children.
    I haven't written my specific aims yet, but it will obviously focus around comparing past to present, getting the children to think about changes that have happened over the years and why they think these changes have occurred, whether it's land use, old and new buildings, or whether I just focus on one particular part of history for example our school. I haven't got much further than that and feel a bit muddled!
    Thanks for reading this, and hopefully someone can help me out!

2. Hello
    This is my first year as a year 3 teacher and we have just started a history topic on our local area. It links in with our geography unit too, looking at land use and how the village has changed over the years etc.
    We have already started the topic by considering what the historical buildings/symbols might be, places of particular interest, and the children have carried out some research using written sources and ICT.
    We have walks in the locality planned for a couple of weeks time, but I am being observed in this history/geography unit in between these walks and unfortunately I have no inspirational ideas which have come to me yet and would be really grateful if anybody could share anything that has worked well and really engaged the children.
    I haven't written my specific aims yet, but it will obviously focus around comparing past to present, getting the children to think about changes that have happened over the years and why they think these changes have occurred, whether it's land use, old and new buildings, or whether I just focus on one particular part of history for example our school. I haven't got much further than that and feel a bit muddled!
    Thanks for reading this, and hopefully someone can help me out!

3. Are you able to get some photographs of the area at certain points in the past? You can then go round the area now and take photographs from the same angle. The children will then be able to see visually how the area has changed in the last 100 years.
    I did this, and used photographs from the early 1900s, some about 1950 and the rest from current day. It's really good to try and get them from the same angle so you can compare exactly.
    Good luck!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Do any of the buildings in your area have a blue plaque? If so, you could ask the children to research the history behind it.
    Could they have a map of the area and plan a walk for a visitor taking in as many places of interest as possible without doubling back on themselves? They could write a short paragraph for each point of interest.
    Do you have a long-time resident of the village/town? Could they come in and talk to the children about how the place has changed? Or an ex-headteacher of the school?