1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help please - GP wants to sign me off

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by smirnoffice, Feb 6, 2012.

1. smirnoffice

smirnoffice New commenter

Hi everyone - would like any advice / views please.
    Went to the GP a fortnight ago with recurring chest pains. Had an ECG and GP suspects angina. Wanted me to sign myself off (self certificate) for a week, but I was reluctant to do this, as 99% of the time I feel fine. Also, I am always slightly suspicious of the willingness with which GP's are prepared to sign people off so quickly.

At the same time, the GP organised a hospital appointment at the cardio clinic.
    Have been to that - what fun - tread mill / blood tests etc, and they want me to go back again over half term for a follow up. In the meantime they have put me on medication to lower blood pressure, which was very high.

Again, hospital have suggested that i takethe remainder of the week off work, to reduce stress, and also in case there are any side effects from the medicine.

Has anyone else here had any similar experience, did they take time off, was it beneficial?
    Thanks for your help

PS - i hate taking time off!

2. Well, I think your school's very lucky to have someone in their employ who is so reluctant to take time off, but I think you should listen to your doctor. Yeah, I'm sure there is a certain amount of ****-covering in their signing people off, but why do doctors want to cover their ***? Cos it's your health and your HEART! Can't be messing with those things. Don't be crazy - take the time off. I'm only a little NQT but already I've sussed that there is no such thing as a time when EVERYTHING you need to get done is done. If you're that twitchy about sprawling at home in front of More4, then get on with some assessments or planning or something. But personally, I'd favour the 'sitting at home watching everyone else skid by your window with a warm fire and an afternoon movie'-approach. Best wishes x

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Nah...I ignored all the warning signs, didn't go to my GP and settled for having a massive heart attack "out of the blue" instead.
    Don't be a fool, smirny - do as you're told! I was lucky as I happened to be at a hearing aid appointment near the A&E building of my local hospital when I had the heart attack. If' I'd been at work I'd be dead.
    Your choice, of course - if you feel you know better than the doctors do what you think is best and ignore their advice!
    Big hugs etc.
    PS - that was almost a year ago and I'm now as near fine as I'm likely to be.

4. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Why on earth would you trust the opinion of teachers over your GP and hospital!! Take the time off and put yourself first.

5. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Look at it this way - following medical advice and taking a few days of now may save you months of work later if your condition deteriorates when you rush back to work too soon!

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've just had to take time off (2 weeks) for a fractured spine. I too did not want to take time off. However, I spent the two weeks doing exactly as I was told....................resting. Spent most of it in bed.
    As a result of that I got better much quicker and am now on my second week back but part-time. I go back full time after half term. I realise now that no way could I or should I have ignored medical advice and gone back too soon.
    Listen to your doctor, take time off and rest.
    Seren told me off too. She was right!

7. Don't even think about it - have the time off please.

I had chest pains for about 4 weeks - misdiagnosed as a back sprain - went back to school, still had the pains - ended up at casualty on the Sunday night - I'd been having a heart attack for a month and not realised - how stupid was I?

Please take the time off and let the medics do their stuff for you.

I now realise that life is not a rehearsal - you only get one chance!

Best wishes