1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP PLEASE - GCSE Film Studies

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by s.gummer, Jun 8, 2011.

1. I've just been told i need to teach WJEC GCSE Film next year; i am a NQT and not overly experienced in this area. To make things worse, WJEC are changing the spec after next year so a lot of work is going to have minimal use.
    I have read the spec, got all the materials from WJEC and borrowed the book but i really really need some help on how to structure the year (its running at 3 hours per week for one year). If anyone has a line scheme or scheme of work or just some advice I would be super grateful and promise i will post funky new resources once i make them.
    simongummer@stratford.ac.uk
    Thank so much in advance

2. Simon,
    I'm confused by your reference to WJEC changing the spec next year. Do you mean changing the focus away from Disaster Movies? If so this is not a major concern, as a lot of the resources you make for that section (only 30% of the entire course) can just be tweaked anyway. That's what I'll be doing anyway.
    I taught the course from scratch in your situation, although I insisted on doing it over 2 years, not 1, as I think this is a bit rushed. The most important thing is to keep the coursework simple (i.e. no group work and especially no filmmaking! Posters are your best bet). Secondly, as the coursework is 50%, make sure they get plenty of time to make this good, especially the micro anlysis, which overlaps with the exam work as well.
    Teach the basics first - camera shots, sound etc, Representation etc. Then get stuck straight into coursework. Also, remember that as long as you have a decent understand of film, and have swotted up on the most common technical terms, then you will be ahead of them most of the time anyway.
    Hope that helps...

3. Hi. Ring them; they are lovely. Jeremy Points is the subject office.They provided me with a course timetable as a starting point. The course is great.

4. Hiya. I think I have stuff that would help at school. I will email you on Monday. Best wishes.

5. Hi,

I don't suppose you could email me also. I too have the joy of teaching Film Studies and could do with all the help i could get.
    Thanks in advance

6. We now have launched FilmEdu!

http://film.edusites.co.uk

This has resources including Schemes of Work, associated materials and training/workshops for teachers and students of GCSE, AS and A2 Film Studies. There is a blog if you have any queries. This should help you all. There is also an offer to new subscribers of 3 years for 2 with Cineclub (saving of £500) or 10% off the first year (£50), and 20% off The National Media Museum IMAX Tickets (see T&C on FilmEdu site for more details). All of this for just £30.

Brilliant!

7. Hi

Could you email anything you have regarding film studies. A SOW would be amazing if you have one.
    Anything would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

ajfulker@hotmail.com

8. Hi there,

I'm not sure if anyone is still using this forum.... but, I am starting to teach GCSE Film Studies WJEC this sept, I am really excited about it as I can finally use my degree for something.... anyway, I was wondering if anybody could share some SOW's with me. I just need a bit of a kick start..... anything would be most helpful.

My email address is claireredfern@googlemail.com

Many thanks if anyone is out there....... : )