1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please......Digestion

Discussion in 'Science' started by Darthteacher, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Darthteacher

Darthteacher New commenter

Sorry, just having some self doubt today............

I'm interviewing for a new, Year 5 job on Friday. I passed the first hour and a half interview with 11 teachers / Head (fun but intense).
    Today they have asked me to come in on Friday and teach a science lesson on the digestive system. They want me to address how the system works.

Can you offer some fun and interactive activities. They want 3 different stations for the groups to work from. They want a ten minute warm-up. For some reason I've hit the wall mentally. I just can't seem to get my head around it.

Thank you so much for any help received.

2. SarcAndSpark

SarcAndSpark New commenter

I think in year 5, the main focus is on understanding the parts of the digestive system, what their basic functions are, and a bit more about teeth. Could you have a puzzle type activity where students have to put parts of the digestive system in the right place on the human body? Give them some easy ones (e.g. mouth, teeth, tongue) as well as some harder ones.

I'm not sure what resources you have available, but if you had access to models of teeth from a carnivore, herbivore and omnivore you could also get pupils to look at these, note down the differences and guess what sort of diet the animal eats?

Also, either for the warm up, or a station, what about a "taboo" style game, where pupils have to describe parts of the digestive system to each other without using specific words e.g. Teeth, but they can't use the words "Mouth", "Chew" or "Bite"? You can find lots of resources for this sort of game on TES.

These aren't the most inspired ideas ever, but they might give you some starting points?