1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP PLEASE Demonstration lesson with interview - what should I wear?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amaryllis2, Apr 18, 2012.

1. I have an interview lesson to do with Y1 - a 30 minute introduction to division. Would they expect a starter ?
    How would you start the main section. Obviously it'd have to be as practical as possible but as I've never worked with this age group before, I'm not sure how to go about it.
    Would you do an IWB introduction or keep it all practical with real objects? Would you expect the children to do any recording at this stage? I've no idea of their ability.
    And even more important, what should I wear?

2. I have an interview lesson to do with Y1 - a 30 minute introduction to division. Would they expect a starter ?
    How would you start the main section. Obviously it'd have to be as practical as possible but as I've never worked with this age group before, I'm not sure how to go about it.
    Would you do an IWB introduction or keep it all practical with real objects? Would you expect the children to do any recording at this stage? I've no idea of their ability.
    And even more important, what should I wear?

3. Clothes are always tricky - smart casual e.g. nice trousers and a blouse (and nice clean shoes) should cover all bases. Our SMT like nice nails and make-up, apparently so God knows how I got the job!!!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm a 'suit for interview' kind of person, but not everyone in primary is. Wear the smartest as you feel confident in.

They will expect a full on lesson, made shorter. So yes a starter type thing. IWB would be fine. I'd keep it practical, but not everyone would. Do whatever you think best suits, you are going to be the teacher when you get the job. You'll be doing it every single day.

You do have an idea of their ability. They are year 1, what level do you know they are likely to be? Division at this age is just sharing out, so easily practical.

Good luck.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

You can always email and ask If they expect a full lesson. I did once and they said they didn't expect to see the full thing so I didn't do a starter, just straight in to input. Keep your input short for y1, definitely practical and I would say not necessarily recording, but ensure u take notes on their learning or have a plenary that is super duper otherwise their first question will be "how do u know the chn met the LO?"

6. I had a interview for a y1 job a few weeks ago..and I got the job :) I had to teach a half hour maths lesson on measuring using non-standard units. I taught in 3 parts - starter using IWB to show I was confident with it and had the skills to use it for teaching effectively! (This was mentioned in the job description/personal specification!) I had the children on thecarpet for about 10 minutes, using a power point to show LOs and key vocab andthen a few activities to demonstrate using cubes to measure. Then they went away and did this themselves for 15 mins, then back on the carpet for 5 mins to review what they had done and check their understanding. Hope this helps!

7. An interview observation lesson is like every other. How can you show progress? It's also your way of sharing your teaching style and manner with the children. Intro the lesson but linked to the objective, practical work and then a closure which still has children learning.
    Wear something smart but feels comfortable (if it's not you'll be on edge all day!)
    Good luck!

8. DFC

DFC New commenter

Make sure the top doesn't display more than you want! A colleague made that mistake bending over a table to work with a child at an interview lesson. The observer definitely got more of an eyeful than he bargained for!

9. I would definitely stick to a "normal" lesson format, input, main and plenary, just shorter than normal.
    What to wear - as smart as you feel comfortable (as a previous poster has already said). I have always had the idea that you wear something that makes you stand out e.g. a bright purple top or a colourful necklace, that way when the interviewers are discussing all the candidates and if they can't remember names, they can say "Oh, remember the one with the purple top"! But still keeping it as smart as possible.

Good luck :)