1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please- book club

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amy9999, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Has anybody got any ideas for activties at a book club to make the club more entertaining/enjoyable? At the moment the children come in and choose a book they wish to read and read it and they are enjoying this at the moment but I would like to have more activities to choose from so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Design/draw their own cover for the book. Dress up as a character from the book. Create a poster advertising the book to be put up in the library/around school. Discuss alternate endings for the book. Discuss a back story for the baddie; why are they bad? Design costumes for a stage version of the book. Create video reviews to be added to the school website. Choose their favourite quote from the book and have them printed onto magnetic stuff to make their own fridge magnets.
    Sorry, those are all the ideas I can think of just now!

3. This has helped me too as i was thinking of starting a book club. If the children are reading the same book they could turn it into a play script and act it out. Create poems from scenes, play the who am i game using characters from the book.

4. If your book club is for vulnerable readers you could try this. Go to www.schoolwork.bz and enter the site using the access code ure132ty
    Then enter the library which can be used by even the most vulnerable Year 4, 5 and 6 readers without adult intervention. When they have 'read' a chapter, they can print it out and then read it to the book club group from the printouts. I know of three schools which use this facility in their book clubs.