1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help please! Baby (10 months) has stomach bug

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by mandala1, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Breast milk is fine, formula and cows milk I'd not give her until she's better. If she's not dehydrated then she'll be fine eating very little and often for a few days.

2. I've always tried to avoid dairy with tummy bugs and I would give LO fruit pots, bread, beans, toast and whatever they felt like but this will obviously depend on age. Hope your LO starts to feel better soon. x

3. The official advice is to continue with formula feeds but in my experience give little and often and include a bit more water. However I think if you are worried about dehydration (and if her nappies are not that wet you are right to be) then try and get fluid down her any way you can including squash/ rehydration fluids if needed. If you are worried then take her to out of hours to be on the safe side.

4. I always carried on with formula/breast milk but stopped solids other than a bit of toast. If they are still being sick I would not give any solids until they stop. I remember my LOs first bug and it lasted ages, about a fortnight. Hope they are better soon but it's par for the course when they start nursery. The first year is constant illness! :( x

5. Tummy bugs are so nasty aren't they! We were advised to feed according to BRAT - banana, rice, apple and toast but he didn't really want to eat anything . . . he survived for 3 weeks on formula and crackers, most of which were soon sicked up again afterwards. As long as baby isn't dehydrated, I'd give him/whatever you can!
    You're probably already doing this, but we put big old bath towels in his cot to avoid having to change sheets/mattress protectors all the time - easy to just fold up and dispose of the sick and replace with a clean one- but we still got through 3-4 pairs of PJs each night!

6. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

My daughter caught a rotavirus a few months ago, when she was also 10 months. We eventually took her to the hospital but the general advice from the paediatrician was to give her a tiny bit of water or milk (formula) at a time so that she had a chance to hold it down, but that to offer it to her every 10 minutes or so. He also said that the standard rehydration sachets that you get from supermarkets for adults are totally fine to give to babies but that they offen won't drink them because they don't like the taste. He also said that it was fine for her to have normal food but not to be surprised if she only really wanted milk until it passed.

7. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Thanks all, i have been reading every day and taking your brilliant advice.
    We're on day 5 now, still getting some sickness and diarrhea but not as much. The main sickness now seems to be a few hours after going to bed, even though she only had a few oz before bedtime.
    I think she almost choked on it last night as I had to run to her in the cot after hearing strange noises on monitor. She was laid on her back panicking with her mouth full - awful. I couldn't sleep worrying if she'd choke if I didn't hear her.
    What sort of crackers can they have if under one?
    Both me and OH have had the bug too now. One week back after mat leave and I have to ring in sick - how useless!
    Going to try a bit more formula when she wakes from her 3rd nap of the day already!!!
    x

8. Coolgiraffe

Well today has been better, but 4 hours after her last milk and 2 and a half hours after going to bed she has brought the milk up. Any ideas as to why she is being sick in bed and not during the day? Or does this mean it is nearly over?
    xxx

9. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

It was the same with my daughter, she was better when she was awake but would wake herself up by vomiting in her sleep - mine sleeps on her front anyway so that was less of a worry but by 10 months she'll be strong enough to cough up any that she does breathe in by mistake. When she's sleeping the bug has a chance to build back up to a level which her body wants to get rid of, hence the puking.You might want to think about taking her to the doctor if you haven't already. They can give her a yakult type drink that will help her gut flora fight back and speed up the recovery a bit. You can also get lactose free formula if it's been going on long enough for the temporary intolerance to have started.

10. In terms of food she' d eat dry toast if she was hungry and if she isn't it's probably more important to stick to fluids. Crackers are fine for babies of 10 months as far as I know. The only possible issues are salt (but then bread has added salt also) and some being a bit hard. Mine would have been able to eat them but her only real talent so far is teeth growing.... I hope she feels better soon but look at it this way, if it is Rota then it's a bit like chicken pox and something they have to catch a couple of times to become immune so it's just part of the course.

11. Coolgiraffe

Thanks again, really appreciate your time in helping us x
    Had a conversation with health visitor today and all health professionals are saying to keep giving her formula, I'm so confused though cos so many mums are saying not to give formula for a while. Not sure what to do.
    She seems to have lost some weight too but she is between 75th / 91st centile so shouldn't matter too much.
    Will keep giving banana, we keep trying baby juice but she doesn't guzzle that like milk, she only has a few sips.
    xxx

12. When we came home from the hospital and they left us with the added parting gift of norovirus last year we were terrified of the baby getting it - had her to the doctor as she was sick a couple of times (and still being so small we were obviously playing things very very safe) and their advice was to keep giving her formula, but be aware she might well want it little and often rather than normal feeds. Obviously a much younger baby then (she must have only been 3-4 weeks old max).

Thankfully she escaped the worst of it as things turned out.

13. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

A loss of a little weight is to be expected - she'll put it back on once she starts eating again. My LO lost loads of weight - a kilo and a half in three days! Once she was better she ate like a horse for about 5 days and nights straight and is back to where she was before.
    The way the hospital explained it to me was that if the milk is their main source of nutrition then you must continue with it. If child is older and reliant on other forms of nutrition then you can stop it throughout. However, once the bug is over, if they continue being sick on milk when fine with other things then it implies they have developed an intolerance, which is generally cured by 36-48hrs without - so long as they aren't largely dependent on it for their nutrition, as I said. Guess it depends how she is doing with solids normally, and what you are happy with.
    For us, it was clear - partly cos we were told what to do by the paedeatrician at the hospital, so you don't get the same conflicting advice that you do when exposed to a range of professionals, mothers and friends, and partly cos she was clearly better but the milk still made her sick, so it was an easy decision for us. She also eats really well, and milk is now a secondary nutrition for her, which is another factor.
    The other thing that occured to me reading your post is that you say she guzzles milk - maybe that's why it makes her ill? Could you try limiting the amounts she has but upping the frequency if you don't want to cut it out?
    My parents are medical professionals (a doctor and a midwife) and they basically said that there is no evidence that doing anything will make it go any quicker, there are just theories, and that's the reason for all the differing advice. As long as you make sure she's hydrated and having calories - including carbs and sugars - then I don't think you need to worry x

14. Coolgiraffe

Aw thank you x what would i do without all this help and advice?
    That's brilliant what you've told me, makes it all clear.
    My LO does usually eat really well with solids so I have had to cut down on the milk a lot. If she keeps solids down and only brings up milk I'll try what you said as it makes perfect sense.
    She's not a great drinker of water or juice, she only sips and then gets fed up so I'm giving her foods that are watery too, like very runny porridge and yoghurt (even though that has milk she seems to be able to keep it down).
    She's eaten a large banana today in small portions throughout the day so will see what that does!! She has also eaten some toast and some porridge.
    It is the first morning milk that she guzzles as she's so thirsty by then. I'm making up a bottle of 5oz water with 3 scoops of milk in but I'll make up full strength from now on. She usually has an 8oz bottle. I have the intention of giving her about 2oz then waiting a while but she is crying her eyes out wanting the rest as she's thirsty! I'll be ruthless tomorrow with it then. The rest of the day she's only having 2 or 3 oz at a time.
    A massive thank you for being there to help, I feel much better xxx

15. Nothing to do with being first time mummy it's worrying. It annoys me when people talk down to first time mums. Just one thing if you are trying to get fluid into her because she is ill then I' d go for Ribena not baby juice. I don't really give my LO anything but water and milk before I get told off, but they don't like baby juice that much in my experience (presumably because it isn't that sweet).

16. Coolgiraffe

We are finally clear of the sickness bug!!! Felt like it was going to last forever. I did stop the formula for a day and a half and it did the trick, no more sick - phew!
    Now I have something else to check with you please...
    LO is still having loose bowel movements, about 1 per day whcih is her usual 'rhythm'! Not watery but a bit like newborn poo, will her nursery still class this as contagious and not accept her on monday?
    I've read that after a bug, stools can remain loose for weeks, does it mean I have to find alternative childcare for weeks? (whilst I'm still paying for her nursery place)
    xxx

17. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

No, it's fine and not contagious. The guts lose the ability to properly digest food for a few days. It's not the same as diarrhoea that others could catch. My little girl's lasted for about 10 days. Glad your LO is better x

18. Coolgiraffe

Brilliant, thanks Chocolate x
    And thank you to all you lovely ladies who have helped us get through this x

19. Coolgiraffe, I feel for what you've been through! We've had a visit to the local children's hospital with LO dehydrating after 24 hours of vomiting. Thankfully on the mend now. Can highly recommend biscuits - we're trying to wean LO off them now! The nurses told us to try them if LO wanted to eat and they went down a treat. We had the Heinz biscotti ones in hospital, and then great-grandad gave us a packet of arrowroot biscuits (because the old rememdies are the best!).

Don't worry about the loose poo, it's not classed as diarrhoea according to the nurses we had, so your LO should be OK for nursery.

20. Coolgiraffe

Thank you Beats!
    It does help to read that others have been through it too. Like the biscuit idea, we do have those in the house but didn't really try them whilst she was sick. My mum swears by arrowroot! She mentioned it the other day actually and I told her I remember her mixing it up for me as a child when ill.
    Just to make things worse now after she recovered (and before returning to nursery) she has now got a high temperature, I've no idea where that's come from. It has been scaring us silly. Using an in ear thermometer she had a highest reading last night of 39, I was so worried. It's the first time she's had a temperature too. It felt awful putting her in just a vest and a 1 tog sleeping bag in this weather.
    She really wouldn't settle last night though, seemed to just want to stay awake and not be put back down in the cot. We gave her calpol and that worked within an hour. She still looked flushed though.
    That's two nights she's had a temperature, wondering if this is going to be a long haul too?
    I just want her to be well like she has been for 10 months!!
    xxx