1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help Please Aqa Understanding and producing non-fiction texts

Discussion in 'English' started by elljell, Dec 27, 2011.

1. elljell

elljell New commenter

My daughter is sitting this exam in Jan. i am desperately trying to find some sample answers just to try and see what they are looking for as I am primary and not sure what level is expected. is there a link anybody could please give me to look as some answers. ThANK YOU IN ANTICIPATION OF YOUR HELP.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Specimen answers to a past paper are in the secure area, but the examiner's report on last January's exam is here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/english/english-language-materials.php?id=01&tabid=2

In question 1, it's usually a summary of key points linked with some explanatory comment. Q2 is analysis of presentational devices and linking them to the text. Q3 is infer/deduce and there should be some analysis here. Each answer is worth 8 marks and students have about twelve minutes writing time for each. Q4 is the killer because it's worth 16 marks and needs some close analysis and comparison of writers' use of language in two texts.

In the writing section, there are two tasks and you can see from the mark schemes (follow the link above) what is required here. Basically, concise and precise writing matched to the task. Hope this helps.

3. elljell

elljell New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply