1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help please - any good ideas for a year 1 observed subtraction lesson?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by banks193, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    the topic title says it all really, i'm looking for some ideas for a whizzy subtraction lesson that i will be observed teaching next week.
    The focus in our school currently is - hands on from the start and short carpet time
    pace and challenge for more able.
    many thanks to any who share ideas, all gratefully recieved.
    alison.

2. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

You might need to give more info about what the class have aready achieved in subtraction. The objetive, the ability of the children etc. The lesson will only be whizzy if the kids progress so you are the best person to know what they can do and what you want them to do next! Happy to try to help but would need more info.

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Relate it to money and have a shop?

Use counters to count back on hundreds squares or number lines.

Draw a big chalk number line and children jump back.

4. Hi,
    many thanks for those replies, the children are quite able in numeracy and during the last subtraction work they were able to subtract using a number line and top groups using a 100 sqaure, they can record their work.
    i really wanted something whizzy in terms of challenging their thinking skills as this is something that as a school we are trying to develop.
    thanks for any ideas
    alison

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Then why not do a problem solving lesson? We do problem solving once a week. If you want to base it around subtraction, you could do the opposite of the postman game. The postman calls at numbers 30, number 27, number 24, what other houses will he call on in the street?

Look at level 2 objectives for the top group.

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Hi ...
    If you want to push your children on in terms of developing their skills in subtraction, using a number line may be limiting as it would encourage them to count rather than use known facts for example.

Take a look at this and see if it helps:
    Skills in Early Subtraction·
    • Counting out - a child finding 9 - 3 holds up nine fingers and folds down three.
    • Using knowledge of place value - a child finding 25 - 9 knows that 25 - 10 is 15, and uses this to give an answer of 16.
    Certainly I would suggest finding appropriate contexts which encourage children to develop these strategies.
    Carrie [​IMG]

7. Hi what did you decide to do? I have a very able year 1 class and I'm trying to think of something exciting for subtraction too.

8. misconception

misconception New commenter

Can you introduce the idea that subtraction = finding the difference?

Look at dominoes. Find a domino on which the difference between the two 'sides' is 1. How many different dominoes can you find with a difference of 1, 2 etc. Whats the biggest difference you can find? What do you notice about the number of spots on the dominoes which have a difference of 1?