1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please! Am really confused. Computer problem.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

For the third time I have just had a phone call on my land line from an Indian man telling me that there is something bad inside my computer and that if I don't get it out I will lose the computer. I have told him that I don't take unsolicited phone calls because of scams and he said he isn't a scammer but someone from micro soft. He says that my computer has been sending out notifications to micro soft that it has an infection and that he will tell me how to get rid of it. I asked what he thinks is wrong with it and he said I must sit in front of it and he will guide me through how to put it right. I told him that this is not possible because my land line is downstairs and my computer is upstairs.

I had to ask him to repeat what he was saying every time he spoke because, although I tried hard to understand him, his accent was so strong that I found it very difficult. I am not blaming the man for his accent but it made me even more stressed that I had to keep asking him to repeat himself. In the end I said that I would take advice from a friend and said goodbye to him and put the phone down.

What do you think? Is this a scam or is it genuine? They have phoned three times now. What should I do? Thank you very much in advance for any help.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's a scam. They want to load spyware on your computer. Give him and anyone like him no details whatsoever, don't even confirm your identity.

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

It is ABSOLUTELY a scam. There will be a slight pause after you've answered and then the man will have a name such as Dave or John. Yes, they will claim they are ringing from Microsoft and that they have noticed unusual notifications from your computer. They will want you to log on and then ask you to allow them to access your computer remotely.

Just put the phone down

5. grumpydogwoman

We get it all the time. SCAM!!!

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thank you for replying. I didn't confirm my identity or give him any details. I even told him I didn't have a mobile phone when he asked me for the number. But why do they KEEP phoning? And is there anything I can do to stop the calls? And are you sure it's a scam? What can they get out of it? Should I phone BT with whom I have my service contract?

7. grumpydogwoman

They would get your password out of you!!!!! Or try to get you to pay for some spurious firewall package.

It's absolute RUBBISH. Ignore it. They just ring everyone.

8. George_Randle

George_Randle Senior commenter

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

It's a scam. Honestly. Tell them they're lying and you know they're lying because you work in IT. And put the phone down.

Same principle with anyone who rings to tell you there's something wrong with your bank account. (Except for working in IT that is.)

And if you ever have any doubts about anyone ringing to tell you there's something wrong with your bank account, ring the bank on a different phone because these scammers hold the line open so you think you're ringing back but you are still connected to the scammers.

ilovesooty and FolkFan like this.
  10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

They are phoning because you have answered them so showing it is a "live" number...you might possibly also have the tag of a good possible scam! Block the number.

midnight_angel likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes, it is a scam. The idea is to get you allow them remote access to your computer at which point they can track any secure transactions and even initiate them.
    Note the numbers if you can and BT should block them for you. Otherwise just hang up immediately. You could also avoid answering at all if you can use an answering machine to screen calls.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Cold sales callers are bad enough but this guy is just scum. He thinks he has identified you as a soft target Lascarina (which kinda suprises me as you can be quite firm on here!!). Please don't get into convos on the phone about your bank or computer - just hang up. You may well be plagued if they think you are vulnerable (i.e. you talk with them as if they are normal ordinary people). You might need to change your number, because they can make life miserable. Practice hanging up your phone! We can pretend to be callers of various types if you like on here..

"Good afternoon. AM I speaking to the user of the computer in your household?"

Lascarina likes this.
  13. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Definitely a scam.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Microsoft will never call you. It is a scam. See the link posted by @George_Randle above.

Lascarina likes this.
  15. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

1) Change your number.
    2) Microsoft isn't in India.
    3) A scammer. Tell them that they are all wrong.

16. grumpydogwoman

"Sorry, can I have your name again. And your direct number? And email address? Your number seems to be withheld so let's clear that up for a start. And how come you got my details coz I DON'T HAVE A PC, YOU UTTER B/SH!TTER. I HAVE A MAC!"

Sillow and teachingking123 like this.
  17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Lascarina likes this.
  18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thanks everyone. You are a huge support.

19. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Any time Lascarina. I am a bit of a computer wiz.

20. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

If it's any comfort I was quite shaken recently having been conned by doorstep cowboy builders :(