1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Planning SERIES of Year 4 English lessons - newspaper articles!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Mrs_Twit, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I'm a student and I need to plan a week of Literacy lessons (5) about writing newspaper articles, for a Year 4 class with achievement-levels ranging from G&T to SEN.
    Obv I need to start at the beginning - even the G&Ts don't sit and read a Guardian while they're eating their Ready Brek of a morning! =D I am starting on Monday with a short (20min) session.
    This is what I find challenging: forgetting all my prior knowledge and going right back to where the kids are at. The ultimate aim of this week is going to be for the kids to write pieces, in the style of newspaper articles, about the book we're sharing at storytime. So I need to get them to understand what newspaper articles are for, conventions of them, etc etc before I have a HOPE of getting them to write their own!
    ANY ideas for ways in? Where to start? Lesson/activity ideas? Fun stuff rather than me lecturing at them "headlines must be short and snappy etc (yawn)"!
    My targets are:
    - to have less teacher talk (!),
    - more visual/auditory/kinesthetic activities to get and keep the kids engaged
    - and effective planning for the TA (and for guided groups for me to lead).

This is soooo daunting, planning a SERIES of lessons. All I've had to do so far is teach ONE and then hand back to the REAL TEACHER!!!!!
    Your ideas very much appreciated, thank you! xx

2. Hi,

I am doing something similar with my class at the moment with the theme of ancient Egypt. We are looking at different types of recounts, so newspapers, diaries etc etc. I have the first four lesson plans which my teacher is doing with the class which I can email you if you like? Obviously it will need to be adapted a bit and we are doing this over a slightly longer period of time and you would only be doing newspaper articles. But I think it will give you some ideas for all your targets.

3. Your goals are not those for learning as such. They are outcomes to satisfy your mentor/observer.
    Set out your outcomes for the series of lesson and then lessons will design themselves based on what you want to come out of them.
    I would not get too caught up in this massive differentiation to the point of where you are planning 3 or 4 lessons in one.
    Make your outcomes accessable to all and simply have more testing examples for the G and T to built PLTS
    This notion of all singing all dancing lessons is not sustainable. Have outcomes and extension material and you will be fine.

4. calming words. what's PLTS?

5. Do they not use them in Primary?

6. have you got this theme of ancient Egypt planning? Thanks