1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help planning for BTEC science lessons

Discussion in 'Science' started by caverre, Aug 16, 2011.

1. I am about to start NQT year and have been given two BTEC classes (year 9 and year 11), however in the course of my ITT year I did not get the chance to see any BTEC lessons, so I have only a basic idea of what they involve.
    My questions are:
    1. How much of the course is taught by the teacher vs. individual research type work - is a normal lesson structure used?
    2. What kinds of work need to be evidenced to meet the criteria? Some teachers have advised me just to hand out worksheets for them to complete, but I assume that this is not the way it should be done?
    3. Are there any websites that give good ideas of resources for BTEC?
    If anyone can help with this or give other general advice it would be much appreciated!

2. I am about to start NQT year and have been given two BTEC classes (year 9 and year 11), however in the course of my ITT year I did not get the chance to see any BTEC lessons, so I have only a basic idea of what they involve.
    My questions are:
    1. How much of the course is taught by the teacher vs. individual research type work - is a normal lesson structure used?
    2. What kinds of work need to be evidenced to meet the criteria? Some teachers have advised me just to hand out worksheets for them to complete, but I assume that this is not the way it should be done?
    3. Are there any websites that give good ideas of resources for BTEC?
    If anyone can help with this or give other general advice it would be much appreciated!

3. It depends on the class! For some of my classes (middle ability) I will teach them as a normal lesson alllowing them to do the research and build up a portfolio of evidence that matches the assignment brief. They have made podcasts and videos aswell as using worksheets and ICT. For other lower ability classes I tend to lead the lessons being very prescriptive about what I want. If you use ICT with the lower abiity pupils they will just copy and paste wikipedia.

4. hammyr

hammyr New commenter

Your school should have "Assignments"which should clearly state which pieces of evidence the students are expected to collect - so I would firstly ask your HoD for these and also for some completed pieces of work so you can see what other students have done and whether it meets the criteria.
    YOu should then get your hands on the "Specification" which has a chapter for each unit. In each chapter there is a section on Teaching and Learning and a section on Assessment. These should be read together so that you are clear what the students need to cover to achieve Pass Merit and Distinction for each criteria.
    Then you build up your teaching for each assignment so your students can complete the work to the given criteria. Sometimes a worksheet is fine, other times it wont be and it's up to you to decide what is appropriate.
    In terms of good websites, there are a few documents on here which are useful, and I would also check out
    http://btecscience.co.uk/ Which is absolutely great. You need to register but it's free and so worth a couple of hours digging around.

Hope this is useful - get in touch if you need any other help!

5. Star_Teacher

Star_Teacher New commenter

I have seen it taught very prescriptively, and initially thought how on earth i could teach BTEC in a way that i found boring and uninteresting. Since then though I've realised that you can design your own worksheets and tasks that can be engaging and intereactive and where you can still collect the necessary evidence for the grades.

Again, as mentioned above, Podcasts are great and so are videos if your school has the resources. Who doesnt like playing with a video camera??