1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!! Place value addition and subtraction?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LGR22, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Look at this document,
    http://www.eriding.net/resources/inclusion/narrowing_the_gap/100819_noriordan_sen_maths_securing_level_2.pdf
    or Google 'Securing level 3'. Whichever level the children are working at, there are 4 great documents to secure each level.
    Don't get hung up on doing bigger numbers for HA children and smaller numbers for LA children. Place value is about understanding the value of each digit. Addition is a different concept. They have to have an understanding of place value in order to add numbers, but it isn't place value.

2. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

Hi,
    When I was a student, I learnt 2 important things about teaching place value. The first was to explain that zero is a placeholder (they called it Zero the Hero) - without it 10 and 100 would both be 1! (Children often leave it out by accident.) We were also taught to use straws for counting (especially for your LA) and to put a rubber band around sets of 10. So if you were to add e.g. 7 + 8, when you bundle them, you will get 15 which will be (1 set of 10) + (5). Hope this isn't too basic.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Straws, dienes blocks, cubes, anything that shows tens and units in a concrete way would be essential in year 2.

If the children can partition numbers, then there is no point teaching them just to partition more digits. I would do what others have said and plan to get them to add and subtract by partitioning.

4. CB123

CB123 New commenter

What about adding on 10 / 100 and taking away 10 / 100. This will add to their place value knowledge