1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help- Phase 6 lesson plan.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by aridion, Feb 7, 2012.

1. aridion

aridion New commenter

I am teaching a phase 6 phonics lesson on the word ending -es. I am in desperate need of some help and to be honest am beginning to panic. It is an observed lesson. Any ideas? Any good plans?

Thank you in advance.

2. aridion

aridion New commenter

I am teaching a phase 6 phonics lesson on the word ending -es. I am in desperate need of some help and to be honest am beginning to panic. It is an observed lesson. Any ideas? Any good plans?

Thank you in advance.

3. A few thoughts:
    got the first bit from www.phonicsontheweb.com

<h2>Rule #2: Add -es to nouns ending in s, z, ch, sh, and x</h2>Nouns which end in the letters s, z, ch, sh, and x-es at the end. For example:
    • glass/glasses
    • horse/horses
    • buzz/buzzes
    • dish/dishes
    • box/boxes
    • bush/bushes
    • witch/witches
    • switch/switches
    <h2>Rule #3: Nouns ending in o</h2>For words ending in the letter o, sometimes they are pluralized by adding s, while other words must be pluralized by adding es. These words must be memorized, because there is no simple rule to explain the differences.2
    <h3>Examples (es):</h3>
    • echo/echoes
    • embargo/embargoes
    • hero/heroes
    • potato/potatoes
    • veto/vetoes
    • tomato/tomatoes
    • torpedo/torpedoes
    • hero/heroes
    • veto/vetoes
    also words ending in e have es in the plural.

discuss how the addition of es adds an extra syllable.
    Other words not included here are: buses, fuzzes, whizzes, foxes.
    Some of the words are only nouns (glasses) but others are verbs and some are both - dishes (up), boxes, switches. set the task of putting the words into one or other group.
    Just a few ideas. Hope it helps.
    Don't panic!

4. I apologise that this is not really helping you - but it reminded me of a girl who was quite sure that the singular of horses was "horsey". (I thought she just hadn't learnt the word 'horse', which may also have been true, but she was using logic, that taking the 's' off gave her 'horsey'. I had to say it aloud myself to figure it out.)
    To start with you could give them pairs of singulars and plurals (of the straightforward ones) and ask them to sort them into groups with the same pattern, so they begin to work out the rules for themselves. Might need quite a bit of direction though to focus on the relevant bit. More able could be given the trickier ones. Not sure I'd use veto and embargo - though I suppose it would be vocabulary extension! Then make up sentences using them? Just a starter idea.