1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!!! PGCE Research assignment

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by graceade, Feb 5, 2018.

1. graceade

graceade New commenter

Hi,
    I am a PGCE student currently trying to start my Research project and i haven't got a clue on where to begin , does anyone have any advice on interesting topics and how to approach this project.

Thank you :):)

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Subject/ Key stage?
    What are your interests?

3. pamelad67787

pamelad67787 New commenter

you can take a help from some writing services provider. they have the better ideas.

4. graceade

graceade New commenter

I teach Health and Social Care in Further Education, I am currently considering students motivation/self-esteem.

5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Linked to disaffection or not?

Look at intake - by gender and ability
    Look st outcomes
    Look at career path following outcomes
    How does career path match up with expectations at start of course?
    What is the recruitment policy for the course?
    What are retention rates
    How high is absenteeism and is there s regular pattern to this
    Is there a definite drop it rate cycle
    Are exit interviews conducted with drop Utd or those who finish the course

Seriously there is lots of scope for both primary and secondary research here.

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Go on Google scholar and look up what's already been talked about related to these areas. You may find something there that ****** your interest.
    Alternately is there anything around motivation/self esteem you've noticed in your placements. something that's made you wonder why X behaved one way but Y didn't?

All you need to do at this stage is find a question.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I have about 20 that I am supervising at the moment and I arrange tutorials with them all but especially any who are finding it difficult. It is the normal process by which you do this sort of thing. You should write to your tutor and book a tutorial - we are very experienced with this sort of thing and it doesn't take long to get you firmly lined up and ready to go ahead.
    What sort of supervision have you access to?

8. Mattz1993

Mattz1993 New commenter

The research project you undertake you should be linked to your teaching practice -- that is not to say that it must solely be around the modules you teach. It could be, for example how you engage learners with tasks or how effective different behaviour management techniques work.

When I completed my piece of research, I looked at targets for learners with an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP). You could probably do the same, but in a more generalized format. Are targets set? How often? Are they linked to assessment criteria? Do they include Maths and English? Do learners have too many targets or not enough? Just some thoughts!

9. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

10. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter