1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - PGCE medical form

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by AHunter, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Hello,

I'm posting this, in case any of you might be able to help..!
    I have been offered a place on a primary PGCE course, which I'm very excited about.
    But I've just received the medical form, and it not only asks whether you have ever been treated for depression (which I was expecting), but also whether you have ever self-harmed. I would have to tick 'Yes' to both of those - but could explain that they were both completely dealt with several years ago, and in fact required no time off work when they happened...!!

I just wondered whether anyone here had been in a similar position? Or know whether ticking yes to the 2nd box wil automatically disqualify me from the course..? And, anyone had to have a medical exam (which I bet they will make me do) and can let me know what it was like..?

Any advice, info etc that you can give me would be very gratefully received...!

2. Hello,

I'm posting this, in case any of you might be able to help..!
    I have been offered a place on a primary PGCE course, which I'm very excited about.
    But I've just received the medical form, and it not only asks whether you have ever been treated for depression (which I was expecting), but also whether you have ever self-harmed. I would have to tick 'Yes' to both of those - but could explain that they were both completely dealt with several years ago, and in fact required no time off work when they happened...!!

I just wondered whether anyone here had been in a similar position? Or know whether ticking yes to the 2nd box wil automatically disqualify me from the course..? And, anyone had to have a medical exam (which I bet they will make me do) and can let me know what it was like..?

Any advice, info etc that you can give me would be very gratefully received...!

3. Don't assume that you will be immediately disqualified from the course! What it will do is flag up that you have had a medical problem and most likely, the uni will get you to go in and have a check with a doctor just to make sure, or ask permission to contact your doctor regarding this issue. Past depression is not a bar to becoming a teacher.
    Good luck, I am sure everything will be fine.

4. Hey,

I had the same problem as you, have suffered from depression, self harm and anorexia. i declared it all on my form and got accepted onto my course, no medical!! But I do have an occupational health app tomorrow for the job I am starting in September, so am nervous about that.

Monks x

5. Hi! I think it would be counted as dicrimination or inequality if they didn't accept you for such a reason. My form had a section you had to sign to say they could contact your GP so I expect (as the others who have replied to you also said) that they'd check this way.

6. I'm in a similar position - having had depression and counselling - and I've been worried about whether this would exclude me too. The regulations from the Dept of Education talk only about being "fit to teach" by the time the course is completed, and as someone else said, they have to be careful about discrimination. As far as I'm aware, the only definite bar is if you've been sectioned, which automatically excludes you from working with children in any capacity at all.

7. Just wanted to say thank you so much to everybody for your responses - you have really cheered me up.
    I'm going to fill in my form as you have suggested, and be prepared to argue my case if necessary, but I'm now much more relaxed about the whole thing.

Good luck with the occupational health interview Monkey78 - I would be really interested to know how it goes.

Thanks again

Best wishes

Alyce

8. Hey,

The appointment went fine, she was so lovely nad really concerned about what I had been through. We just chatted about stuff nad she signed me off as fit to teach!!

Love Monks xxx

9. That's great Monks - I'm really pleased that it went so well for you...!

I was a bit worried about having to get through medicals for jobs even if they did let me on the course - so I'm relieved that they aren't necessarily scary..!

Thanks again for your help - hope it all goes well in September..

Best wishes

Alyce

10. Had similar situation when filled in my medical forms. I decided to be honest.
    I had to get a doctor's note which cost me £50. Then had to pay for an interview with occupational therapist - who told me my case was 'extremely minor' compared with many that she'd seen and that I 'shouldn't have bothered to mention it'.
    I always thought that if I didn't mention it and for some reason it cropped up there might be an excuse to kick me off the course or something. Then also worried that if I DID mention it and it went on record, I would have no recourse to action if teaching job drove me to depression (others get sick payouts etc - what if they thought this was just something I always had - maybe possible but daunting thought.)
    On my course I wound up meeting loads of people (11 that I know of) who had either been treated for depression, self harmed or even attempted suicide...
    Only you know whether you are capable of taking on what is a very stressful, if rewarding, job. You can guess at how it may affect you to work in this environment. OK - maybe you will find it too much. Maybe though you will be in a position to recognise and help other vulnerable young people if you spot familiar signs.
    Good luck.

11. Hi, on the other side of this matter, you are entitled to see your medical records, and almost every other record held on you. This is a right given by the Data Protection Act, and they cannot legally refuse to show you your records, however they may charge a small fee to do so.

If you do choose to see your records, keep an eye out for any acronyms, and ask what they mean, and watch out for the response you get. I say this because they know you can request your records at any time and may 'code' information they do not want you to see. I know this sounds like paranoia, but its true - my mum is a dentist and the same rule for records applies there. Ackward patients often have PIA written on their files (pain in the ass), however if one of these patients requests their file, the official meaning for it is patient is anxious!!

12. Hello,

I handed in all my paperworks, about a pgce course in Notts, around the end of March.
    So far, i got the CRB disclosure and i have not heard of the medical report yet.
    Do you know if it is normal that it takes so long?
    Ta much.