1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - parent assassinating my character

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MrsFBrown, Mar 10, 2012.

1. PS I meant to say that I am on a maternity cover contract and replaced the regular teacher in January.

2. Ms Chipping

Ms Chipping New commenter

Offer the pupil part of a selection of G ant T/ extension lessons, where pupils will recieve extra help at lunchtimes and give them extra homework. if they don't do it stick them in detention.You are in control of this situation. The more assertive and dominant you are the less they will try to test you.

3. Not sure how this would help. They've also complained about being given too much homeowrk!

Anyway, it's the character assassination that's the problem. I'm not doing anything wrong.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Seek union advice. The parent is clearly stupid, but that is no defence. Anyone who thinks that there is no difference between key stage 3 and GCSE is not someone you can have a reasonable discussion with.
    There is a law against defamation and putting something in an email does not protect the parent from it.

5. The discussion should have never gotten to this. Your HoD is there to support you and they are failing miserably. If they have seen your classes and are happy with what you are delivering then they should be putting the parent in their place, not allowing them to undermine you.

If I received an email from a parent about a teacher in my department, I would investigate it, and having seen that the class was taught to a level I was more than happy with would have expressed this to the parent. End of. Your HoD is being weak because this person is a head. So what, they are a head in a different school. How they run things is entirely up to them, they are NOT the head at your school.

What was the outcome of the meeting? Is this parent going to give you targets or are your SLT going to grow a backbone?

6. chriszwinter1

The HoD seems to be inadequate for the task. As a HoD my job was to defend my staff. If I had a problem with a teacher, it was up to me to solve it. That's what I was paid for. I was also paid to take the flak, something my line managers didn't always have the backbone for. As a result of their weak leadership, the school is now closed.

7. My point exactly. I'm HoD and if a parent complained to me I would of course respond effectively and politely to it but I wouldn't allow some long winded meeting where they can come in and whinge endlessly about a member of my staff. I also wouldn't be having them telling me what should be happening in my classrooms, I couldn't care less if they are a head elsewhere.
    I'm sorry to hear that, I have to admit I am very lucky with my management who are very supportive.

8. chriszwinter1

I am glad that there are schools where the managers do their job. When the chair of governors said in a public document that the school's leadership was poor, you knew that the game was up.