1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help packing required for Kool new job.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by milliondollarcheetah, Jul 11, 2018.

1. milliondollarcheetah

milliondollarcheetah New commenter

I was wondering if anyone could help. I am packing for a kool new job and need somc advice asap.
    I am currentklly at a really nice school but need to fly out to my new job asap. any suggestions on what I could bring? There is a WU over the road so I am not too worried aboutthe venture.

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Kool??? WU?? Just tell us what country you're going to. That might help.

stopwatch likes this.
  3. mummalea

mummalea New commenter

Hi milliondollarcheetah

Lucky you - a new start. Your 'bringing' is probably limited by your removals allowance from your new school, I'm thinking? Try to have all your resources digital for the classroom, keep copies of all documents in soft and hard copy esp insurance, qualification certificates, stuff to do with any domestic arrangements at home. Research and keep a record of where your appropriate tax office/embassy/nearest police station/medical clinic or hospital is wherever you're going and buy a local SIM at the airport when you land.

That's a comprehensive start...

4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Don't leave, I hear awful things about your new school. You'll probably work for 6 months without pay and then be fired and not given a reference. Better to stay at the really nice school even if there isn't a Western Union near by.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

A dictionary

tb9605, tjh102 and 576 like this.
  6. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Hi. It would really help to know which part of the world you are moving to - that really impacts what you are going to take with you.

For example, here in Thailand, you shouldn't show your shoulders as a teacher (though I have noticed many who do, despite what it often says in school policy documents). So I would advise that, if female, you get dresses and tops with short sleeves, or get light cardigans that cover them.

However, this wouldn't be an issue if you were going to France, for example. There is a lot of cultural context.

When I first moved out, I took the following:

- Documents folder (including degrees, PGCE, QTS, NQT, DBS certificates, transcripts, passport and copies, copy of birth certificate just in case...)

- School resources - as many as possible on a USB but a couple of books and things. I also took some stickers and marking stampers etc - things that could be hard to source in the country. I knew I was going to a new school that didn't yet have resources.

- Electronics - I brought my laptop and ipad over. Have barely used the ipad as we use school ones, but use my laptop a LOT. I also brought my camera, because I do like something a little more functional than my phone. I brought my ereader and wish I hadn't - I mainly just use the app on my phone. Oh yes. I packed my phone!

- Clothes - I made sure I had 7 or 8 work outfits to start me off and one set of non work clothes (as well as the ones I was wearing). I figured that most of my time to start with would be at work, so that was the priority. I also took a formal dress for smarter occasions and a suit.

- Personal Bits - By this point, I was getting close to my allowance (I only had 30kg and no shipping allowance), so I allowed myself some personal things to make life seem more like home when I arrived. A few gifts, my flute, that sort of thing.

My rule of thumb for packing was, "Can I buy it over there? Would it be expensive to buy over there?" I didn't pack any toiletries and got them on arrival. I had a travel towel for getting over here and my first few days, but got all that stuff here.