1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - opinions on names

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lovestrees, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Hi guys,
    My wife is pregnant and we're arguing about baby girl names. What do you think of these (honest responses welcomed).

• Temperance
    • Cecilia
    Thanks.

2. My honest response is I really don't like either of them. If I had to choose one I'd choose Cecilia as it's easier to abbreviate.

3. Sorry but I'm not keen on either names. However I would choose any name over Temperance.

4. Hi,
    Sorry, but I am not over keen on either. I think the problem with Temperance is that it sounds like a technical term rather than a name. I would also be concerned that they would be called 'Temper' for short, which is a little negative. I don't mind Cecilia but is more of an adult name rather than a child's name. And again, I am not too keen on the abbreviation of 'Cecil'.
    Good luck to you both on choosing a name, I know it can be so difficult particularly if you have different tastes.

5. I think Cecilia is quite nice, but definitely don't like Temperance (sorry, but you did ask).
    Have you looked at baby naming websites or name books? They might have something you probably haven't considered. It seems that you both seem to like less common names, so a website might be a good start.

6. Honestly? Both awful!!! Cecilia isthe better of the two butTemperance would be shortened to Temp.

7. I don't mind Cecilia - but that is probably because I sing the song for my daughter, substituting her name in (Emilia). I am not so keen on Temperance I have to say - and I do wonder what issues you could create with that name. Kids can be cruel.

8. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Nothing wrong with Cecilia, the patron saint of music. Can also be shortened to Celia. No comment on the other name.

9. i would wonder what awful thing a baby had done to deserve a name like temperance....
    i quite like cecilia though.

10. I quite like Cecilia. It could be shortened to CeCe or even Sisi.

Not keen on Temperance. Is it a family name. I think a look on baby name websites might be a good idea, like someone else suggested.

11. My OH likes Cecilia as he is a musician, but I would be concerned that it would be hard for the child to say their own name, and if it had a lisp a name like Cecilia would be a nightmare (we also have a sibilant surname, which makes it worse). Cecilia can also be shortened to Leah which is a nice nickname. Temperance - I quite like it, but it is hard to shorten, although in 'Bones' the lead character is called 'Tempy' which I find a bit weird, but perhaps worth considering?