1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help on EBacc for PGCE Assignment please!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Fresa82, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Fresa82

Fresa82 New commenter

Hello,
    I would like to pick your brains if you don't mind :)

As part of a PGCE assignment I need to comment on issues that the EBacc might cause MFL in terms of teaching. At the moment the only thing I can think of is a lack of sufficient teaching staff. Is there any other impact that the EBacc does/will have on the teaching of MFL? (other than a lot more pupils studying it obviously!)

Gracias,

Fresa82

2. msr2015

msr2015 New commenter

Hiya,

I think that curriculum model can have a huge impact on results and perception of a subject. Some schools force large amounts to do the Ebacc, some enter all and some maintain an options route. Having large amount of students who feel like they weren’t given a choice can cause issues with engagement and ultimately outcomes. There is no easy solution but I would definitely suggest looking into engagement and outcomes.

3. Fresa82

Fresa82 New commenter

Thank you!

4. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

The Ebacc is entirely imaginary. It means nothing for pupils. Schools might be under pressure to have more pupils doing languages, either by persuading, guiding or compelling. That depends on the school.