1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help OFSTED! - Year 2 math open-ended investigations lessons

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Willow Tree, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi
    Could anyone help my collegues and myself. Ofsted is coming on Monday and we wanted to do some open-ended math investigations around using and applying number. Does anyone have any weekly planning or activity ideas for us??

Thank You!!

2. Have a look at the http://nrich.maths.org/public/ website, there are some great ideas on there. Click on For Teachers, then use the curriculum mapping documents to find activities by year group against objectives.
    Good Luck for OFSTED

3. Well do you have some more detail on what it is you want them to learn in the lesson? My advice would be, when doing an open ended maths lesson learning is not always as obvious as Ofsted likes it to be! This all all Ofsted will be really looking for and if they come in mid an open ended investigation will it be obvious what they are learning and that all children are making progress?

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Relieved to hear they are still giving notice, I thought we had already moved to no notice inspections.

5. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

I am inclined to agree with gibboanseo- open ended investigations are great when they work but they do have the risk to go wrong and it is quite hard to show progress if the whole lesson is not being observed.

6. Thank-you, at first glance this looks good. I'm sure I will something here.

7. Good point - I will talk to my collegues.

8. what about doing pattern. Show one uniblock cube and say the next one would be 3, 2 base and one on top. show third pattern, 3 on base, 2 in middle and 1 on top Give pupils cubes and ask them to continue the pattern. Next, have worksheet with pattern recorded for first 3 in sequence and ask pupils to draw the next 2 and record how
    many cubes in each pattern. Can they record how many cubes to continue pattern without physically using cubes? The bright ones will work out that you only have to add one more to the base nr and add that to the other totals to go on forever. Having the cubes will support less able, whist the more able will be really stretched. Also get pupils to explain in plenary how they did this activity. Hope this makes sense. Good luck