1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help Ofsted - castles!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by NellyFUF, May 14, 2009.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

How to make a castle. Rules for castles. Sign for giants and so on. What story are you using? That might help!
    There was a princess long ago is a good song.You could write stories about princesses, act it out, dance it, hot seat it, write a reason why the witch cast a spell, sequence sentences, write what the castle looked like, make a list of words that rhyme with spell........make a flap book that looks like a castle.......

2. We have also been doing about castles, something our class really enjoyed was painting their favourite character from the topic, we have looked at dragons, mermaids, princesses, fairy etc so the children painted a picture added glitter etc then the next day we looked at what they had painted and discussed the features they had added, such as a sparkly wings, golden hair etc using lots of descriptive lang, HA then wrote story about there picture and LA labelled with support there characters features. produced some great sentences, and when i put them on display the parents were impressed, i think because they were motivated it encouraged them to write.
    anyway hope it helps and good luck

3. Hi there
    I started a thread entitled Castles in Reception class that had lots of good ideas posted on it.
    Our topic is Castles and this week we have been planning our medieval banquet - I was teacher in role as 'King Harold' - they loved that! I then told them that they had to plan the banquet - we spoke about he sorts of things we could have. Some children wrote lists of food for the cook, some practised juggling as jesters some made pictures for the banquet hall - some drew their banquet outfit. some used the instruments. Also had castle role play - castle small world - castle construction - castle junk modelling - castle shape pictures with sunset background, solving a problem for the princess - she lost her crown - Sang There was a princess long ago - with actions. Used jewels for counting activities/buried in the sand for sandcastles.

Hope this helps
    Lily

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Outside play: Don't forget that inside the castle is safe from dragons and monsters etc. Forts made from rings of chairs or whatever are great 'safe' areas - especially if there are lots of cosy cushions or softplay pieces within it - when there are monsters lurking about. A 'moat' and drawbridge [Quick - it's coming!!!] add to the excitement.

5. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

could they make shields out of cardboard and design their motifs or whaterver they are called using their intitials. You could also make papar mache bowls for your castle and paint gold or whatever colour, via a balloon and cut in half.
    Large cardboard boxes outside for them to build a castle
    if you have an IWB then scholastic have a lovely castle (its the giants in jacks), where you can explore via a small light, showing more and more of the castle to reveal who lives there.
    If good at drawing, you could get children to describe a castle and draw on IWB
    Put a picture of a castle by a famous artist and write down childrens descriptions