1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! NQT struggling to write a Scheme of Work for Yr.9 on Cubase on DANCE MUSIC! Any ideas??!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by joey20, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi, I have volunteered to attempt to write a scheme of work for Year 9. The topic is on dance music - something I feel I no very little about in comparison to other genres of music. I have a scheme of work template to follow as a guide when writing the structure etc but I am struggling in terms of content as I feel I no so little. I have been searching high and dry on the net to find any examples of schemes of work on dance music but it's difficult to find the detail that I will require to write this thing! Secondly, the whole dance music unit is intended to be carried out on Cubase....again something I know very little about! I have played around with it and know the basics but I imagine this could be a really fun and interesting unit for the kids, and could encourage them to opt for GCSE music, so I really want to make this a great scheme of work and so make the most out of the software.
    If anyone can offer any pointers, info, or ANYTHING that would help me out that would be great!!!! I have bought myself 'Now Dance 2010' album in desperation to get to know this music as I am going to be teaching the unit for about 6-7 weeks! Thankyou in anticipation!!

2. Hi, I have volunteered to attempt to write a scheme of work for Year 9. The topic is on dance music - something I feel I no very little about in comparison to other genres of music. I have a scheme of work template to follow as a guide when writing the structure etc but I am struggling in terms of content as I feel I no so little. I have been searching high and dry on the net to find any examples of schemes of work on dance music but it's difficult to find the detail that I will require to write this thing! Secondly, the whole dance music unit is intended to be carried out on Cubase....again something I know very little about! I have played around with it and know the basics but I imagine this could be a really fun and interesting unit for the kids, and could encourage them to opt for GCSE music, so I really want to make this a great scheme of work and so make the most out of the software.
    If anyone can offer any pointers, info, or ANYTHING that would help me out that would be great!!!! I have bought myself 'Now Dance 2010' album in desperation to get to know this music as I am going to be teaching the unit for about 6-7 weeks! Thankyou in anticipation!!

3. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

Hi Joey,

I'd work out first what you want them to know about dance music. If it's year 9, and geared towards the GCSE, why not focus on the sort of content they need to know for that?

When I've done dance music, I've looked extensively at creating strong rhythms, using firstly generic house rhythms (four to the floor, handclaps/snares on 2 and 4 with hi-hat on the 'ands'), getting students to compose breakbeats, and then their own rhythms.

If you keep the composition simple and ostinato based, you can use Cubase effectively to produce quite sophisticated results.

I use a programme called Hammerhead, a free rhythm generator www.threechords.com/hammerhead (you will need to get this installed on your network beforehand) Rhythms from this can be exported into Cubase or any other Sequencer.

Good luck!

4. cbmusic88

cbmusic88 New commenter

Joey you volunteered to write a scheme of work for a topic you're not sure about? Talk about sucker for punishment!
    Yeah theres not loads of stuff on the net for Dance music, believe me I've scoured it! I'm teaching dance music to Year 9 at the moment but using Ejay and then Reason (never used reason, dreading that bit!).
    If you're looking for any listening examples to help them understand key features, try getting them listening to Samuel Barber's Adagio for strings and then compare it to the William Orb it/Ferry Corsten remix or the more recent DJ Tiesto one. If you can find it, somewhere on YouTube there is a William Orbit version that starts exactly the same as the Barber and then the synths and the drums drop in. Good for talking about remixes and also the instruments used in the William Orbit version are all electronic (string synths)
    A discussion (just a mind map on the board or something) on the sub-genres of dance music might be worth it too? I did one with my class and they came up with sub-genres of dance I'd never come across! (Happy Hardcore anyone?) But encouraging them to research the sub-genres for homework by making a poster to display 'Trance' or 'Disco' etc can work nicely.

Dunno know if any of that is any use to you! Good luck!

5. nattig

nattig New commenter

In my first PGCE placement I taught a whole SoW on Club Dance Music using Cubase.
    It's REALLY easy. The basics they need to know is rhythm, 4-on-the-floor
    (For help on this bit the Edexcel GCSE syllabus has a Moby track in which also talks about Dance music if you need some background info).
    As for Cubase, download some audio samples. The kids love it because they don't then have to stare at a blank screen and they will always have an outcome (even if it doesn't sound perfect). If you can save a folder of drum beat samples, then bass samples, sound effect samples and vocal samples they can create a fantastic piece of their own in 1 or 2 lessons. You can then talk about melody and get them to compose their own. You can use as many or as few samples depending on the ability of the classes.

Hope that's helped?