1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP. Not striking, asked/ told to do year 11 catch up coursework sessions tomo

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by macy100pink, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Can anyone advise? I am in school tomorrow and been asked to take long sessions doing coursework catch up for my subject with a few members of a class I teach but wouldn't normally see tomo. Was only informed/ told today, pupils already told to come in. Is this breaking the rules of not covering for striking colleagues? I'm confused and need guidance on this. I'm not in a union. Thanks.

2. Can anyone advise? I am in school tomorrow and been asked to take long sessions doing coursework catch up for my subject with a few members of a class I teach but wouldn't normally see tomo. Was only informed/ told today, pupils already told to come in. Is this breaking the rules of not covering for striking colleagues? I'm confused and need guidance on this. I'm not in a union. Thanks.

3. phallen

phallen New commenter

This is difficult, not least because you are not in a union, which, in this day and age is not at all advised - but that is a different matter. If you are in front of pupils who would normally be taught by a striking member of staff, then you should know that you are breaking their strike. However, your contract will probably state you will complete tasks reasonably requested of you by the school. This could include a change of timetable to include revision/coursework classess. Your problem seems to be mainly on two fronts, do you want to create an issue between yourself and your employer (more militant, but less pragmatic, writers might say ignore that and look at your rights)? and, as you are not in a union you are not obligated to support those who are, but may feel beholden to them. If this were me (a union link at a school), I would do one of two things: Either, go online and join a union tonight and call the school first thing in the morning and indicate your that you have taken up your right to strike. Or, do the work you have been asked to do tomorrow, join a union and either strike next time, or ask your union rep to express your refusal to cover striking members of staff. Sorry I cant offer you more at this stage.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It could be argued that you won't be covering the timetable of any striking colleagues (that would involve taking a specific whole class each lesson and delivering what they would have been doing.)
    As you've had so little notice, I'd supervise the pupils doing coursework research etc and perhaps show them examples of past work at various grades.

5. Nead2604

Nead2604 New commenter

If you are not striking, then you are working. That is the long and short of it.

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter