1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Not striking, asked to run coursework sessions for my class...is this OK?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by macy100pink, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Can anyone advise? I am in school tomorrow and been asked to take long sessions doing coursework catch up for my subject with a few members of a class I teach but wouldn't normally see tomo. Was only informed/ told today, pupils already told to come in. Is this breaking the rules of not covering for striking colleagues? I'm confused and need guidance on this. I'm not in a union. Thanks

2. Can anyone advise? I am in school tomorrow and been asked to take long sessions doing coursework catch up for my subject with a few members of a class I teach but wouldn't normally see tomo. Was only informed/ told today, pupils already told to come in. Is this breaking the rules of not covering for striking colleagues? I'm confused and need guidance on this. I'm not in a union. Thanks

3. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Sounds to me like covering for absent colleagues in that it's not pupils you would normally be teaching that day. Notwithstanding that, it's pretty short notice too.
    Why aren't you in a union?- they'd be able to give you the definitive answer on this, and back you up should you decline the invitation to cover for striking colleagues.

Good luck, DB.

4. Nead2604

Nead2604 New commenter

I REPEAT ....if you are not striking, you are working. These are kids you normally teach, what difference does it make that you are teaching them on a different day? It is not a formal lsson. You are working and getting paid to work. Work is work. What difference does it make?

5. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I think you already know the answer to that.

To the OP - as you're not in a union you're on a very sticky wicket. Your school is asking you to be involved in strike breaking imo (willing to be corrected) but as you're not in a union you may just have to do it.

I urge you to join a union asap.