1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help- newly qualified and totally lost!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Scottish_Wildcat, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I gained my PGCE primary qualification about 3 weeks ago. My final placement was deferred due to catching swine flu last year. Because I have finished at an odd time, I haven't had any support, and I have missed all the lectures about where to go next, paperwork etc as I was unable to go during my course.

What do I need to do next? I asked the person who signed off my PGCE and they knew less than I did.

My course was in England, but as I live on the border, I would like to be able to teach supply both sides of the border once I have passed my driving test.

I am totally lost here.

2. Hi there,

I gained my PGCE primary qualification about 3 weeks ago. My final placement was deferred due to catching swine flu last year. Because I have finished at an odd time, I haven't had any support, and I have missed all the lectures about where to go next, paperwork etc as I was unable to go during my course.

What do I need to do next? I asked the person who signed off my PGCE and they knew less than I did.

My course was in England, but as I live on the border, I would like to be able to teach supply both sides of the border once I have passed my driving test.

I am totally lost here.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Apply for a job?

4. have you completed your QTS tests? Find a supply agency and register with them. I'm guessing you still need to register with the GTC but as they are/should be dissolving about now, I'm not to sure about that one. And start applying for jobs like Middlemarch said! If I was you, I would probably be focusing on your driving test because once you can take yourself to school viewings/interviews/supply jobs and the rest of it, life becomes a lot easier! Good luck x

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My Scottish colleagues tell me that there is no point in applying for teaching jobs in Scotland.

6. Why is there no point?
    Surely you're preventing yourself from getting a job just by taking their word for it and allowing yourself to be defeated.
    Is there any reason why you can't apply for jobs in England?
    Yes, times are difficult at the moment but if you never try, then you will never get a job.

7. I was asking more about paperwork I need to complete.

I know I need to apply for a job, there is NO need for sarcasm. You were an NQT too at one point.

I used to come on these forums, and people were respectful and helpful. It's not the same now. All I wanted was some help; if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

8. Oh , but thanks Niali for trying to help, you confirmed I'd done things I needed to- register with GTC, supply agencies etc, I was just hoping I hadn't missed anything :)

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you want to be properly paid on supply your first port of call should be contacting all the LAs in your travel to work area and finding out if they still run supply teacher registers.
    As you have just completed the PGCE, you may not officially have QTS yet, even though the PGCE provider has told you that you have passed. You only officially have QTS when the certificate comes through. Those who completed in June probably received certification in August.
    Until you officially have QTS, you would be employed by agencies and LAs as a Cover Supervisor or an unqualified teacher. There is an official Unqualified Teacher payscale for LAs to operate. The upper parts of that payscale are more or less equivalent to the lowe rparts of the qualifioed scale so a school could pay you close to M1 daily or contract pay and then transfer you to the qualified Mainscale when you receive the aforementioned notification of QTS.

10. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Scottish wildcat- Some people on these forums aren't too friendly I agree. One thing I always note about teachers, especially those who have been in the profession for a while is that they have forgotten how to speak to adults because they are so used to the way that they speak to school kids.
    That aside, make sure you keep an eye on all the job sites including your local newspaper website, eteach.com, reed.co.uk and see if you can register with job agencies. I found it was worthwile emailing my cv to schools, while some people say this I got called from this and my friend has secured a 1 year contract through doing this.

11. Thanks guys,

Yes I agree Georgia, I've found this tendency in my colleagues often. I find it especially annoying as I don't even talk to the children like this!

I've achieved my QTS :) My final placement was deferred due to contracting swine flu, so I had already completed my TDA tests and met all other academic requirements.

I've been emailing my details all over the place to try and secure both supply and permanent work! Fingers crossed I get something soon, I'm already fed up and it's only been a month or so :D

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But then again, the children I teach don't generally respond to anything in such a sulky manner...
    A little bit of a sense of humour when coming across responses that may have been sarcastic, but were irresistible, will help in getting a job.

If you look on the jobseekers forum on here there are some threads at the top that will give you lots of advice. 'emailing details all over the place' isn't always a good bet.

13. Not that minnieminx needs any help defending her-(I'm assuming female?)-self ... but ... you can do all you want with your paperwork, but until you get a job it's not really going to make much difference. Get a job, and then speak to the NQT coordinator at that school, they'll help with everything else.
    It was, I think, perfectly sound advice.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you indeed. It wasn't my advice in the beginning, but I do agree totally that the advice was sound.

15. Oh yes, ooops, it was Middlemarch, who is equally capable of defending herself.

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL All these m m names!