1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! New to GCSE Drama!!!! AQA Spec

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by ruthsolomon, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Hi there, I am starting to teach GCSE Drama for the first time in September 2010. It is the first time the subject has been taught at our school and I feel totally out of my depth as I am completely on my own!

I'm attending an AQA course on the written component of the exam but would love to meet up and discuss/share ideas with anyone who would be willing!
    All help/advice most welcome!!!!

2. Hi there, I am starting to teach GCSE Drama for the first time in September 2010. It is the first time the subject has been taught at our school and I feel totally out of my depth as I am completely on my own!

I'm attending an AQA course on the written component of the exam but would love to meet up and discuss/share ideas with anyone who would be willing!
    All help/advice most welcome!!!!

3. Enter them for the written exam in year 10. If they screw up they can retake in year 11 and the best mark goes through. If they don't screw up you can spend the whole of year 11 doing coursework and preparing for moderation.
    Do you have any specific questions about it? might be able to help more if you do?

El xx

4. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

I am also new to GCSE Drama and it's the first time we're offering it as well! ACk! So glad I am not the only one in the country! I don't have very much time to get myself together. I don't even know where to start - I like the idea of setting them to written exam in the first year - to get it over with but not sure how this will effect the 40% rule.
    I attended a course on 'Outstanding Teaching for new AQA spec that was very good but it was obviously all about teaching and not about the 'nuts and bolts' of how to structure the units or what order to put them in.
    Does anyone have any more advice about this?

5. Hey english.teacher, what do you mean about it effecting the 40% rule?
    Don't worry too much about it all, just remember to get in as many practical assessments as you can, there's bound to be students off ill for some and it will give you a wider choice of marks to put through at the end. Also, book moderation early so if anything goes horribly wrong you have time to do another assessment afterwards.
    I think I would try to do a scripted before attempting devised as I find they understand how a play is put together better and you can focus on teaching them techniques they can use in a devised/improv piece etc
    El x

6. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Hi ellie22! I didn't see this reply at the time and was just perusing back and voila! I suppose the 40% rule might only apply to English. I am going to phone the exam board tomorrow and see what they say.
    Do you have any advice on how to stucture the long term planning for Unit 1?
    I am taking them to see Mother Courage next month and Blood Brothers after that - as many as we can to help them better prepare for Section C. Section A and B are the ones I really am struggling with pinning down and, like you said, I am saving the devised for year 11.
    What do you think? Any advice about specific texts / performances?
    Thanks.
    J x

7. Hi

I saw your question on AQA Drama. I am in same position i really need a step by step guide.

i am at a difficult inner city school where they had 6 Drama teachers last year.

My year 11 haven't even read a play in full and never been to the Theatre. Year 10 im not sure if they are saveable but my year 9 hold great hope.

problem is I don't know what im doing. AT ALL.

Im an NQT and only drama teacher for KS 4. Please help.

Sue

8. What is the coursework you talk of? do you mean the practical work? What written work do you get them to do in year 11 if they have taken the exam in year 10?

9. Yes I mean the controlled assessment.
    If they all do well in the written exam in Year 10 then they do no written work in year 11 because that component is over.
    Here is how I set out the two years:
    YEAR 10:
    Term one (Sept to Dec): Practical work focussing on Section A of the written exam.
    Term two (Jan - March): Practal work focussing on Section B of the written exam.
    Term three (April - July): Revision for the written exam and after the written exam some fun practical work they can use as a controlled assessment.
    YEAR 11:
    Term one: Devised Thematic, with final assessment just before xmas
    Term two: Scripted piece with moderation in March.
    Term three: A further controlled assessment targeting students who have not reached their potential grade.

Of course, if the written exam in year 10 goes horribly wrong then term 3 in year 11 is spent revsing for that.

El x